1/87 grid paper

77railer

Dec 11, 2004
South Carolina
Well guys,

Ive searched and searched and well you get the point...Ive looked and havent been able to find it. Is there grid paper that has grids which equal 1/87 of an inch. If not how hard would it be for one of the more computer savy members to construct such a "template" that we could print out and us to draw the plans for the models we have all been so desperatly looking for. This would get us one step closer to having an archive of plans that were created by Gauge members which the world could have access to if that is the desired outcome of the particular modeler. Whatcha think?

77Railer

Leroy,

Normal grid paper will work much better.....do you know how small 1/87th of an inch is??

Take normal 1CM grid paper, make 1 square equal to 6-inches (or 3-inches, 4-inches, 12-inches, 1-inch, whatever), and draw your plan to scale. For example, if you made each square 3-inches, and you wanted an 18-inch radius curve, you would draw a curve taking up 6 blocks wide and 6-blocks high.

Make sense?

OR...you could get a trackplanning program and make the plan yourself, to scale, with one of them.

OR...if you don't want to take the time to learn a software application, you could get someone who designs trackplans to do a design for you. I know there are a couple on this forum, myself included, who do custom designed trackplans. check http://www.siderodstrains.boche.net and click on "Siderod Design".

Later
AR

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Grids at 1/87 of an inch would be so fine that you couldn't actually use it for anything! It would just look like light blue paper unless you held it close to your face and you'd see a subtle grid of white squares...keep in mind that the dots you're looking at on your screen are probably about equal to 1/90 of an inch--so each "square" on 1/87" graph paper would be the size of a pixel on your computer's monitor!

Graph paper is a handy guide, but if you want to draw architectural plans for creating buildings, all you need is a scale ruler and some blank paper.

Jac's Lines

Jan 28, 2005
Rochester, NY
If you scan or photocopy 10 square per inch graph paper at 138%, you will produce a grid with lines every 12 scale inches in HO. The blue ink that graph paper is printed with sometimes doesn't photocopy well, so you may need to play with contrast settings on the copier or lightly trace over the grid lines (I use an HP psc 2110 scanner, which picks up the blue ink fine). I do all of my drafting for structures on this paper, augmented with a scale ruler for detail work. I also have an HO grid printed on transparency paper, which is great for laying over structures on the workbench to test the square of corners, window openings, etc.

The other posts here are right that 1/87 of an inch is so small that the grid would probably be unusable. A 12- or 6inch grid, though, is both useful and easy to make with just a photocopier. Hope this helps some.

77railer

Dec 11, 2004
South Carolina
Sorry for the confusion I was referring to scale feet as in the grid would equal 1 scale fot per line for doing basic structural plans. Ditn realize I put inch until reading the replies..lol....can we figure 1/64 for s scale and n scale and o scale grids as well?

No one commented on having an archive of plans on the gauge for members use....any ideas on that?

77Railer

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
In that case Will, maybe a reference in the form of a link (if it's on-line somewhere), or the standard "bibliographic" reference to a book, with author, title, ISBN#, etc...

Andrew

2slim

Jan 16, 2004
Murray, UT
Visit site
Leroy,
In HO 3.5 millimeters equals one HO foot. This measures, (roughly) to 9/64" per foot. You can fudge to 1/8" equals one foot for the eyeball. HO means 'Half "O" in which O scale measures 1/48, or 7 millimeters, (again roughly) per foot. This then measures to 9/32" per foot for O scale. Many people refer to O scale as 'Quarter' scale or 1/4th scale.
Now that you're totally confused..........

2slim

galt904

Jan 17, 2005
Beachville ON
I've just been modeling my stuff in 1:1 scale in SolidWorks then make a drawing at 1:87 scale and print that. Works better than trying to scale stuff up front.
smile.gif
You could do the same thing with AutoCAD.

Marcin

Oct 17, 2004
New York
www.freewebs.com
I'm not sure If this will help but I have once made a ruler in metric system for H0, TT, and N gauge. Up to 22 meter should be pretty accurate. The only problem is that this file is on a free server and I dont have much bandwich. If someone would like to upload this file on their server please feel free to do so and post link to it here :thumb:.

http://www.freewebs.com/stacjaworowo/Linijka.pdf

Regards

Marcin

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Will_annand said:
77, I think the "Plan Archives" is a great idea.
Only one thing, most plans I have are scans from magazines or books.
I think some sort of copyright issue would develop if I put a bunch up on the internet.

............ and that's exactly why we didnt do it :( jon monon & I were working on that about a year ago :( No copyrighted materials on The Gauge :(

If you want to, anyone can start a thread in F.A.Q./Links/Gauge Rules you can & just place links in ther to other sites that have plans :) :) but dont link to any pics - just the main pages where the plans are.

Jac's Lines

Jan 28, 2005
Rochester, NY
Using standard 10 squares to the inch graph paper, here are the percentages that you'd have to either reduce or enlarge a drawing on a copier or scanner in order to get a variety of different scales. A structure could be drawn to dimensions on the graph paper, with each square on the grid equal to one square foot in real life. If reduced or enlarged by the figures below, the output from the scanner or copier would be in scale plan.

N scale: reduce 75%
HO scale: enlarge 138%
1/64 scale: enlarge 187.5%
O scale (using 1/4"=1 foot): enlarge 250%

Hope this doesn't muddy the waters any more than necessary!

Jac's Lines

Jan 28, 2005
Rochester, NY
As long as I'm on a math roll, here are the percentages that you'd use if you wanted to convert a scale drawing on a photocopier.

To convert an N scale drawing into:
--HO scale: 184%
--S Scale: 250%
--O Scale: 333%

To convert an HO scale drawing into:
--N Scale: 54%
--S Scale: 136%
--O Scale: 181%

To convert an O scale drawing into:
--N Scale: 30%
--HO Scale: 55%
--S Scale: 75%

Will_annand said:
Say, can I borrow one of your G Scale flat cars? I want to built a portable N Scale layout. :p :D

Not sure if a G-scale car would work, but i've been toying with the idea of making a loop of Uni-Track on a live-steam 7 1/4 - 7 1/2 inch gauge flatcar. I doubt it'd like the movement/roughness of our track, but it'd be a pretty cool showpiece. And, if it didn't work, i can use it elsewhere.

We now return to your regular thread, already in progress...... :thumb:

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Will_annand said:
Mikey.
So let me get this straight, you used to be small, but now you are large but narrow? :confused:

Say, can I borrow one of your G Scale flat cars? I want to built a portable N Scale layout. :p :D

LOL Will - It would probably work too :) they are 12" X 3" :) :)

Go to the link in my sig :) :) I have a web site.. :)

Short answer: We started in HO 1984 - switched to N in 86 - I moved out of the house in 87 - Had N on a shelf layout until 92 when we moved into this house. :) built two separate layouts --- an N & a G gauge side by side in my basement.....

........................ Then The N gauge was assimulated by the G :) :) The G has been running since 95 and I was working in Normal scales :) But Then I got The Bachmann Climax & started scratchbuilding my own things (After I found The Gauge) :D and now I build everything in 1:20.3 Narrow gauge G or "F Scale" (NMRA Newly Recognized Gauge) :D :D :D

But the website explains it in detail and also lets you know what MF&W means :) :)