1/72 scale polish tug 'taurus'

Discussion in 'Ship & Watercraft Models' started by a380, Dec 2, 2012.

1. a380

a380 New Member

after the 1950's 'klimek', started another more modern tug. based on the pro-model 1/100 scale taurus. since the approach on this one is to use the kit as template, i enlarged and printed out a b&w copy on 140lb/.42mm cardstock. scoured the internet and luckily found many photos including two really useful panoramic ones, as well as a general plan of the boat. intention is to add as much detail as possible. the goal for this project is a clean crisp build (learned a lot on the 'klimek'). hope to keep this thread going. all comments welcome. anyway this is what i have so far...

the actual vehicle
    taurus 1.jpg
    the pro model kit
    001.jpg
    all set to go
    [​IMG]
    the spine is 3 layers of .42mm card, the ribs 2 layers, all hardened and glued with thin ca
    [​IMG]
    the fit is nice and tight after sanding and filing the slots
    [​IMG]
    the hull sides. i find the flex ruler useful for cutting gentle curves. won't work on sharp curves and the knife tends to dig into the soft plastic if not careful. anyone have a better ides?
    [​IMG]
    chopped off the bottom of the hull since i like waterline models
    [​IMG]
    cut out the deck. on this part decided to try minwax wood hardner to harden the card. 2 layers of .42 mm card glued together. minwax is wattery so soaks into the card very well but requires multiple coats. has toluene so i use a respirator to be safe. didn't turn out as stiff as ca but works. much cheaper than thin ca. 1 pint about $10.00
    [​IMG]
    assembling the anchor housing. wanted to try lego bricks to build a jig. first attempt worked well. the parts fit nice and square. don't know if this method will work with all parts but was fun playing with the bricks, i must admit[​IMG]. by the way my home-made glue applicator in the background.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the glu applicator is an ordinary sewing needle with the eye ground off
    [​IMG]
    sides attached to the hull. using squadron green putty to fill in some gaps. anyone know the difference between the green and the white?
    [​IMG]
    next episode to follow...
  2. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Great Start!! :)