1:60 Saturn IB SA-210 build

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by George B, Sep 21, 2007.

1. George B

George B Senior Member

Hello again guys,

Now that the crawler is complete I'm re-focusing my efforts on the next part of my display, a 1:60 Saturn IB specifically SA-210. I did a re-paint on it, I still need to change a few things. Plans are to add stringers like I did on the Saturn V and other details.

For now here's pic of the test fit.

Regards,
    George

Attached Files:

2. aphelion16

aphelion16 Member

The launch of ASTP/SA-210 was the first launch I saw in person. In person beats the heck out of television anytime. I will try to dig up the negatives and digitize them if you or anyone else is interested.
    Since I never tire of foolish questions; did you resize and existing SA-1B to get to 1:60 ? And will it be released to the community ? And how the heck do you resize and repaint an existing model ?
  3. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

While you are at it George..please tell me you are not looking into building a VAB to go along with all these???

John John
  4. George B

George B Senior Member

very interested

Hi aphelion16, I'd be very interested in any additional information you can provide.
    Lucky you to have seen it all in real life (LUT, Saturn IB, Launch) all most of us have now are photos and these paper models. :cry:

Regards,
    George
  5. George B

George B Senior Member

oops

Forgot to answer your last question. I resized Ton's 1:96 Saturn IB in Photoshop by simply enlarging each page then cutting out the pieces and re arranging them again in PS to fit an 8.5x11. The body tubes were printed out on 8.5x17 paper. My printer allows up to 24" in length. Re-painting is done in PS as well using technical drawings over-layed on the original.
  6. George B

George B Senior Member

Home Depot

John, Ha maybe I should get busy making friends at the receiving department of the home improvement store. I could score some free boxes that the new refrigerators ship in. :mrgreen: Hmmmm:rolleyes:

George
  7. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Hey George

What printer are you using and do you think any parts of your work might be made available to the modelling community?

John John
  8. George B

George B Senior Member

parts

I have a C7180

If it's parts I made from scratch I could release them. But modified parts (re-paints) I would first have to ask for the original designer's permission.

Regards,
    George
  9. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

George,
    Is this going to be your display model??:twisted:
    L.U.T,M.L.P,Milkstool,Crawler Transporter & Saturn SA210.
    If it is, Fantastic!!!:thumb::thumb:
    Wayne

Attached Files:

10. gpw

gpw Member

Yes, I absolutely agree, if this will be the finished display, it will be fantastic. I followed the whole LUT and crawler threads and I always hoped George will include a Saturn IB. The whole built is absolutely impressive.

Regards
    Gerd
  11. George B

George B Senior Member

Idea

Say you guys are not good for my social life. I'll never leave the house now. :mrgreen:

George
  12. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Ahhhh
    Thats amazing.....

I need to stop doing so much OT at work and get some building done....

Well done George

John John
  13. aphelion16

aphelion16 Member

George, What you have done so far is fantastic. I suppose asking you to enlarge the S-IVB to fit the 1:48 Saturn-v might be pushing my luck. ( Im kidding about that ).
    Sometime in the next year Im hoping to do a trip to Huntsville and the Cape to photograph all the Saturn era hardware I can before it rusts away. I almost cried when they scrapped the milkstool LUT. NASA is finally trying to preserve the Sat-V at JSC, it really was rusting away ! Not as good a display as at the Cape, but better than open air. Thanks for all your work, its brought back some exciting memories.
  14. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

Hi George:mrgreen:
    I received in the post today a copy of spacecraft films 'Saturn 1 and 1b' and I thought of you...:oops:
    How is your Saturn 1B SA-210 build going?? You have not posted on this thread for a while??
    Wayne
  15. George B

George B Senior Member

Slow go of it

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've been really busy with work here lately, which is a good thing, but doesn't allow much time for building. The Saturn 1B and LUT are collecting dust but I'll be back at it here soon.

Regards,
    George
  16. George B

George B Senior Member

Saturn 1B Progress

I jumped back on the Saturn 1B build. What's built is finally all glued up, not much left now.......engines, stringers, thrusters, and button up the top.
    I test fitted it to see if it would work with the LUT and to see if the scale was correct, and also to take measurements for the Milkstool. I think with a bit of swingarm tweaking it'll work.

George

Attached Files:

17. George B

George B Senior Member

I made a bit more progress on the Saturn 1B. Finished assembly of the CM/SM and escape tower and have now switched to the smaller details.
    I also wrapped the outer most engines in foil to simulate the insulation.

Until next time........

George

Attached Files:

18. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

Hi George:mrgreen:

Your Saturn 1B is looking GREAT!!:thumb:
    Loving the foil insulation on the engines
    Are you waiting for DM productions release of the pedestal(milkstool) or are you designing your own??:twisted:

Wayne
  19. Waeschens

Waeschens Member

Hi George,
    your Saturn 1B looks great like your LUT and MLP.

regards

Michael