1:50 B-Wing Fighter

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Tirick, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Tirick

Tirick Member

Like a slow avalanche, each change to the model almost demands further changes. I'd set out thinking "I'll just texture the model, add some details and be done". Yeah, uh. No.

While this section still requires some detail work, panels and the filler part between the engine thrusters, but it is for the most part complete. As well, I still need to modify the section it attaches too. It is similar to but actually a complete redo of my original model. This more closely matches the filming model. My original was a little too wide and not quite the right shape. There are a few concessions on this set of parts, relative to the filming model. Hopefully there are few complaints.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy,
    Tirick
  2. Tirick

Tirick Member

May you all have an excellent new year!

Thanks to a generous donor, I've scrapped the prior progress on the Engine section and rebuilt it to much more closely match the filming model. I am a lot happier with the redesign, despite the design setback.

So, this update may not look like much, but it took a several hours to get here. The engine section is completely redone (again), as well as the fuel pods and joining elements. As well, Section #2 is now cut away to fit more properly into the joining section.

Lots to do before Part 2 will be released. Part 2 will include the collar, wing sections #1 and #2, the Fuel Pods and the entire engine section.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy!
    Sean
  3. F131

F131 Member

Squeals like a little girl with excitement. Very cool.
  4. PlutoniumBoss

PlutoniumBoss Member

Oh yes, I will indeed enjoy this when it's done.
  5. kevo

kevo Member

excelent work, can not wait to have a go at building this model,
  6. dragonmaster525

dragonmaster525 New Member

Love the model Tirick, also love alot of the stuff on your site. Those Rebel pilot figures are amazing.
  7. Tirick

Tirick Member

Ah thank you; I've not been great at updating the site of late; I hope to do a store redesign this spring, but I much rather model than code. My Reb pilots are among my favorites as well. When I finally build this beast I'll be making one at 1:35, I'm interested in seeing how well the pilots build at that scale.

Anyway, more progress on the B-Wing. Not much I'm afraid, with Christmas and post-Christmas work catchup I've not had a pile of free time.

I'd like to get the engine section done this week, but its hard to say how things will pan out. I have to examine the filming model to be certain I get the panels right, as well as the detail on the surface and the engine mounts. I'll have to be a bit creative there. The filming model is chock full of electronics in that back section with the engine pods.

The armor panels on the Fuel Pods (I don't know what they are supposed to be, but I'm fairly certain the scratch-build component was a fuel pod from a fighter) is laminar. The filming model ones are fairly thick, although I've only modeled one layer. May need to thicken it with card a little in the build.

I many have mentioned this before, but I am neither texturing nor modeling the tiny pipes that dot the surface of the B-Wing. The effort to texture is not worth it (for me). I'd rather scratch build some and paint myself. I will provide the UV's for any of you who wish to correct these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy!
    Tirick
  8. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Incredible! I really admire your dedication to getting this model correct. Most designers are happy with getting the "impression" of the model, but you are really going th extra mile to mmake sure this looks right. :thumb:
  9. Tirick

Tirick Member

And here we have the Engine section complete:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will probably make a few texture tweaks after the unfold, but the maps/meshes are done, so the Pepakura work can begin. That said, anyone who has build the cockpit, be forewarned, I have modified the 'paint' grey on the aft portion, to more closely match the grey stripe on the engine housing. After review of the various pics it is a better match. It should not make a huge difference either way; I will have to investigate whether or not I can correct the file uploaded at http://www.papermodelers.com/ .

So Part 2 will include:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the model, once released will comprise of the following:

[​IMG]

I may build the parts completed before moving on to the rest of the model, but it is hard to say. Either way I expect I'll work on the main 'blade' next, with the s-foils last.

Enjoy!
    Tirick
  10. Tirick

Tirick Member

I near completion of the unfolds. As with Part 1 (and subsequent parts) I will not be including instructions. I will have some notes on the assembly added to the pages, but the intent is that you use Pepakura Viewer to get a good idea of the fit-up of parts in each assembly. This should be considered of moderate to advanced building difficulty. There are not a lot of complex parts (Part 1 has more curves for example), but I've not made allowances for paper thickness in a lot of the fit-ups, so expect some need for filing/trimming as well as edge retouching.

A sample of the utter crap-work that is required to translate complex curves in Pepakura:

[​IMG]

The Engine Housing Page:

[​IMG]

I'll be a few more days, I have the housing panels/parts to unfold and some tweaks on the fuel pods yet to do. There will be two main .pdo files: the Collar and Wing sections 1 & 2 and the Engine/Fuel pods. This should keep the model view complexity down as these separate sections mate in obvious ways. While the main 'spine' (the inside joining bar for all the parts) will be included in this release, I would not recommend gluing all the parts together just yet. I've not fully determined if I will be notching the blade-end of the spine, and the length of it may change depending on fit up.

Enjoy!
    Tirick
  11. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Your dedication, and expertise is greatly admired, and even envied a bit! :)
  12. Tirick

Tirick Member

Part 2 is now complete! The files for both Parts are now available (for free) at my store: http://tcfgaming.com .

Here is what she looks like all together:

[​IMG]

(I should note, I do not have a unified file as shown above included, this is for demo only).

11 Pages on this release. Add that with the 3 from the Cockpit Pod and we are up to 14. I expect that to approximately double with the next two parts.

Enjoy!
    Tirick
  13. F131

F131 Member

This looks amazing. We all appreciate your effort!
  14. kevo

kevo Member

Can only agree with the above statement. thank you.
  15. Tirick

Tirick Member

Thank you!

I've made progress...

I'm going to be honest, the Creation Kit for Skyrim comes out tomorrow, so I may be a tad distracted.

However, We'll see how far I can go before it gets here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Because they are mating parts, I will be focusing on the turbolaser housing before I work on the details/panels for the 'Blade' wing. If it looks like I'm avoiding the hinges for the s-foils, well, I am.

Enjoy,
    Tirick
  16. skoda

skoda Genius Designer Master Builder

I wanted to download another part of the B-Wing Fighter and that it does not have to sign for me not to go download
  17. Zathros

Zathros Guest

There are quite a few people wanting and waiting for this definitive B-Wing model. It's great to see progress and better to see pictures!! :)
  18. Tirick

Tirick Member

Progress on this has been on hold for a while, I know. I was distracted for a long time with other models, but at the moment I am taking a complete design/build break. I suspect as I get into winter things will pick up again. Thank you for your interest!

Tirick
  19. maximiliano

maximiliano Member

Take your time Tirick....it is allways good to take a break or you could get desing/build blocking!!!It happened to me....Some time ago I get to the point that I had 5 models on the bench, 7 on pepakura and some others in 3d model stage....I didn`t know which to go with...I guess I get side tracked very easy....So, get some rest and come back with the batteries full charged!!!We`ll be waiting...
  20. ohgodwhy

ohgodwhy Member

It's been about a year. Any updates ?