1:50 B-Wing Fighter

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Tirick, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Aussie Phantom

Aussie Phantom New Member

Please Keep Going... this model needs to be finished and appreciated!
  2. Tirick

Tirick Member

She's not shelved by any means, just a matter of time management. I tend to juggle too many projects, and at the moment its on a burner simmering.

:D I actually started the process of UV mapping but the Baneblade build got in the way.
  3. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Well to be fair, I think I need to build up a model of both your B-wing and Baneblade, affix some bottle rockets to the B-wing's torpedo launchers, and then have a "bombing run" on the Baneblade. :twisted:

sign1

Take all the time you need. If we're patient enough to wait for Flarebaffled's Star Destroyer and Thunderchild's Gunstar, then we're patient enough for this awesome model. :thumb:
  4. Tirick

Tirick Member

Since these pictures I've been working on a ton of other projects; I apologize for the long delay. This'll be a beast to finish, but I found the so-called 'holy grail' of reference photos, and I aim to make good measure of them.

Most of the core model will remain untouched, but most of the greeble, especially the cockpit and guns, will be completely scrapped. I may end up having to redo the main 'wing' as well, but we'll see how it goes. I still have to plan where to put the landing gear, but I'm focusing on cleaning the cockpit and texturing as I go. Here are some preliminary shots of the textured interior. Note that there is a lot of greeble to be stuffing in there yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy!
    Sean
  5. deadlyduck

deadlyduck New Member

6. oriod01

oriod01 Member

Just curious, it's been 3 months since the last update. Is this one still simmering. It was looking amazing, dying to see the finished product. Please don't say it's been shelved? Your work is beautiful and I think this could really stand out as one of your best when finished.
  7. Tirick

Tirick Member

Ach, no not shelved, just busy with other designs. I hope to get back onto this once I've textured my Courser and released the expansion pack for the Man at arms.

There is a lot of work remaining to do on the textures, which I often find a bit draining to contemplate.
  8. Tirick

Tirick Member

And finally I return to this project. I've not doubt the full textures will take months, but here is the cockpit and cockpit greeble complete. I'm moving on to the cockpit 'pod' the weekend; I have a lot of detail modeling to correct/add, especially with the guns.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My plan is to finish this in stages and build up print-prototypes as I go. The first will be once the pod is complete. I intend to make two: one at 1:35 and one at 1:50.

Enjoy!
    Tirick
  9. MTK

MTK Active Member

Now this looks like an interesting project. At 1:50, how big will the entire model be when finished at the longest extent?
  10. Tirick

Tirick Member

The B-Wing (canon) is 17 meters long, so at 1:50 it is 34 cm. Here is some shots (same as the ones earlier in the thread) of the untextured prototype. The prototype is slightly smaller of course, as it is missing the turbolaser at the end of the wing. The wings open/close, the pod rotates and the cockpit canopy also opens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tirick
  11. Millenniumfalsehood

This looks so slick, Tirick! I can't wait to sink my eXacto into this beast. :thumb:
  12. MTK

MTK Active Member

Brilliant! Absolutely brilliant!:mrgreen:
  13. Tirick

Tirick Member

Thank you all, I appreciate the comments (and they encourage, strangely enough).

Some progress: I made some major changes to the nose section near the guns, remodeled the guns and textured the front pod. The remaining pod will not take too long to texture, but I'm in a crunch at work as I head towards a two-week holiday, so I may not progress a lot before I go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy!
    Tirick
  14. MTK

MTK Active Member

Can't wait to see it.:thumb:
  15. Millenniumfalsehood

Hey Tirick, are you going to include a windscreen option part? They're pretty useful for making thermo-form molds from, and some modelers prefer an opaque cockpit canopy in order for the model to fit in with the rest of their airplane fleet.
  16. custommodellbau

custommodellbau Member

Boing ,--- looks very good :)
    Best regards
  17. Tirick

Tirick Member

Yes, I have a canopy glass piece; the canopy (a little hard to see in the pic) is designed somewhat inset to allow for the 'glass' (on the exterior).

Tirick
  18. Tirick

Tirick Member

The pod redesign and textures are now complete. I made some modifications to fit, changed the back end to better match the filming model and added some extra greeble detail. I've really enjoyed this portion of the texturing; I can only hope the remainder will continue this way.

I will be laying this part out over the weekend, and may have a release before my holidays (of the pod alone). As noted, this will be .pdo only.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy!
    Tirick
  19. MTK

MTK Active Member

Wow! Looking good, you're really doing a fine job on this, can't wait to see it done.
  20. Tirick

Tirick Member

I've added Part 1 to my downloads (subject to the approval queue) here. This is in .pdo format only, and currently only released in 1:50 scale.

I must stress, the two halves (which should be the end result of Part 1) must not be glued together! If you do so, you will not be able to assemble the pod into the cockpit sleeve (Part 2, upcoming).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would greatly appreciate any build reports, layout advice or assembly concerns/questions.

Thank you,
    Tirick