1:48th Scale MOL/Test Launch 1966

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

See the attached pictures, (For Your Review and comment),

Carl

Attached Files:

2. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

More Pictures

See attached research pictures.

Carl

Attached Files:

3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Looks like you did a great job! How long did it take you?
    Chris
  4. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Time?

It was a on going project. Drawing was a long battle, (trying to find data). The build was torn apart (3) times. I would say You could build it in 4 or 5 night setting, (If You are skilled). I have not yet taken the files from Corel and made them for single page plots. I used Autocad to lay it out and painted it in Corel. Peter Always book helped with Titan info. The rest was from research.

See These links for a start:

http://space.skyrocket.de/index_frame.htm?http://www.skyrocket.de/space/doc_sdat/ov4-3.htm

http://space.skyrocket.de/index_frame.htm?http://www.skyrocket.de/space/doc_sdat/ov4-3.htm

I can't post the dim. work from Peter's Book it is copyrighted.

If somone wants to do a build, I will get the files together this weekend. I need to get back to the SA-6 mission and Skylab, next.

Some day soon I will do a MOL, that will bring together all the research elements I have collected. The hardware as it would have been, (If the program had gone forward).
  5. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Opps The Links are all the same!

Just use that link to nav. to Gemini B, and Titan III, info. pages.

Carl
  6. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Beautiful work, Carl!

Will you be making these models available from some webpage? At 1/48 scale it's a bit big for the scale I normally like to work in, but it would be great to see a Skylab at that scale.

Cheers!
    Jim
  7. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Yes

I will make Them avail. to all who want to build via email. I may set it up for downloads too. I have been working hard lately. I have just gotten some free time to get back to model work. Let me see what I can work up.

Thanks for the review,

Carl
  8. Clashster

Clashster Member

To quote Frank Barone... "Holy crap!" Man, that is big! Looks great... seems like something that big is a labor of love! Great job! Looking forward to what's next!

Chris
  9. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Thanks!

SA-6 is the next baby! My test build will start Sunday. What scale would you folks like. I was thinking 1:48th Scale.

Carl
  10. Regie

Regie Member

Oh man! These are amazing! We wantssssss one preciousssssss!

Seriously, fantastic work!
  11. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Thanks!

I have stage pictures too, (but the thread limit did not allow the images to upload). I did the full detail of the Manifold Payload, (The trans-stage is full detail).

I will put it in a gallery posting, (If I can Fig. it out, (LOL)),

Carl
  12. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Posted in Main Album

I do not have a gallery of My own. So I just posted to the Main album Gallery. Take a look if You wish.

Carl
  13. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Very, very nice, Carl!

While some would probably like the 1/48 scale, others prefer 1/96 scale...me, I can work with either as I usually reduce the scale to 1/144 anyway, but that's just me.:grin: Any way you look at it, these models have a nice amount of detail and accuracy which is very appealing to me. I loved that link you provided, I never had come across that webpage before...good stuff! And I can see you made very good use of some of the details shown there. It would be nice if someone more talented than I would at some point upgrade the old TJohnson models with the amount of detail they truly deserve.

You should be able to create your own Gallery page, though it's been so long I forgot how to do that.

Always looking forward to more of your designs!

Cheers!
    Jim
  14. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

The details are what Matters

I love to look at the fine details. There are many who do their best to put out fine models, (that miss the small things). I have Peter Alway's details on the Saturn Missions. It is important to take the time to make the models as on the money as one can. The SA-1 thru SA-4 missions have that wild Boat tail at the bottom. I have the design done. I just have not done a test build. SA-6 is done, (all but some final paint issues). FYI, designing the SA-6 has also brought Me back to the SA-5, that was test built by many awhile back. The fairng at the bottom needs to be redone. I plan on redoing My build soon to reflect the correct shape. I will be glad to provide the corrected file to all who want to fix displays, (When I finish the SA-6).

I hope You find that Myself ,and others are helping to bring the Saturn Family and other, (Not so well known), Boosters to builders, with the best detail that can be published.

Carl
  15. the mole

the mole Member

I am one of those some that would like to see a 1/48 scale of the SA-6, but I will take anything I can get when it comes to a SA Saturn model. So my vote is for 1/48 Please.
  16. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Ok

Thats 1, for 1:48th. It would help to show detail. Not many folks have the room for 1:48th scale models. How about a 1:48th publish, with instr. on how to reduce for 1:96th?

Carl
  17. the mole

the mole Member

I think that sounds like a good idea. At that scale I guss it will take a whole Thee of paper (cardstock) to build. I still like the 1/48 idea.
  18. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

It will be a few pages!

I do full section plots. When I break it up into page size, (It will be more than just a few to print, (LOL)). I know not everyone has a big plotter, (So the page publish is always best, for most folks).

I will keep You Updated,

Carl
  19. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Thank you very much, Carl. Yours is a great effort.
    And good looking projects too.
    And I go for the 1/96 - 1/144 (like Jim), because of the space to put them.
  20. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

No Prob!

I will keep everyone up-to-date, on the project.

Carl