1/48 F9F Cougar - Blue Angels

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by exzealot, Feb 23, 2009.

1. exzealot

exzealot Member

To all,

Here is a project that I have been messing with (off and on) for a year or so. I thought I would make some progress with it.. It will be an in-flight version - simple but cool.

The Blue Angels flew the Grumman F9F Cougar during the mid fifties. I always liked the Cougar, and I certainly love the Blue Angels.

Here are pictures of the fuselage... the tail was a real challenge to design. This is a test build, so the final version will be cleaner with edge coloring and a better fit. I am still looking for the correct color. I believe it should be a darker shade of blue..

Ken

Attached Files:

2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I am no expert but based on what I have seen of the Blue Angels its definitely not dark enough :)

I really like it so far though!
    Chris
  3. ltla9000311

ltla9000311 Member

kenlwest-You have started on a design that I will purchase once you are done! :thumb: I fell in love with the Cougar when I was about 6 years old when I first wathced The Bridges of Toko-Ri with Wiliam Holden (?) 32 years ago. I have never had the money for the 1/48 plastic kits out there, but I will make room in my budget for your F9F! I await your final results.
  4. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Ken,

That's awesome :D Count me in.

ltla,

That movie had the same effect on me but those wern't Cougars, they were Panthers (straight wing ver.).

G1
  5. ltla9000311

ltla9000311 Member

That's right, DUUUHHHH!:p Sorry for the faux paux.
  6. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Yes...... Blue Angel blue is much darker.

a quick search of the net found this blue angels RGD 43 79 129

I haven't tried them (I'm at work with PhotoShop) but se what that does for ya.

Also I too would love to see a Panther conversion for this kit. There are lots of colorful versions that could be created.

john
  7. exzealot

exzealot Member

John,

Thanks for the paint spec. I use Corel, so I can input this very easily.

Thanks,

Ken
  8. exzealot

exzealot Member

The insanity continues...... :p:p:p

The first 2 pictures show the canopy. I need an opinion: what is the best color/shade/technique for the canopy???

The remaining pictures show the inner structures of the air inlets. Even at this small scale, the intakes must be open to look realistic.

I tried the rgb paint code that john suggested, but it was too light in corel. The problem is that even if I discover the correct color in corel, it changes when I save it off in pdf format. But after alot of paper, ink and time, I think I found a passing color. Since this is a beta build, I won't bother to recolor the fuselage at this point. The remaining parts will be correct, but it will look funny with a cornflower blue fuselage.

Also, I will be fixing the chin bump. Too many parts - needs to be simplified...

Stay tuned.

Ken

Attached Files:

9. exzealot

exzealot Member

Here is the color I am looking for. This happens to be the 2-seat trainer of the cougar.

Ken

Attached Files:

10. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Ken,

Very nice job on the tail and air intakes.

Canopy color is a tough call. I think perhaps a light gray may work. You may even want to experiment with a transparent chrome. You also may want to try paper instead of card for the chin bump so that the edges aren't so thick, or put a note in the instructions about thinning the edges.

Will there be a cockpit for this model?
  11. Janx

Janx Member

It does indeed look fantastic :) Built a 1/7nd plastic kit years ago loved it then love it now, a cougar next perhaps?
  12. exzealot

exzealot Member

Here are pictures of the wingroots. Notice the different color of blue. Still doesn't look right, but it does look better as a PDF. You are looking at a raw Corel version. Feel free to be critical - I am colorblind, and my wife is of no help here (it doesn't hang in a window).

Several improvements will be implemented for the production version.

No cockpit or landing gear - this is an "in-flight" model. I have designed a really cool pedestal for the model - I'll wait to the end as a surprise.

Life is too short - so ENJOY!!!! :thumb:

Ken

Attached Files:

13. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

The fit looks great. I've tried the FG version a few times but the wing root was always a tough fit. This should look great on glossy paper.
  14. Janx

Janx Member

Looks good to me, you have the smooth lines and curves just right.
  15. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Ken....

It's looking really nice! Sorry about this RGB numbers not working. I've come across that using PhotoShop doing repaints...... it gets even more frustrating when printers will not print the color you see on the screen......... there have been lots of discussions on that!

I too have the colorblindness thing and have to ask the wife to check out my colors......... I have trouble with reds and greens........

The two seater Blue Angel was (is) used to take VIPs up for hops before the shows....... reporters, actors, singers....etc...

If I can help just give a shout......... :wave:

john
  16. Texman

Texman Guest

Thought better of it....

Ray
  17. exzealot

exzealot Member

It's Friday night. The following pictures show the wings folded and glued. I can see several places that need to be redesigned. The fit was not good, but that's why we build test models! Also, the graphics do not line up, so I'll be fixing that as well.

Ken

Attached Files:

18. Janx

Janx Member

Looks darn good to me! and yes I just realised this is a Cougar with the swept wings doh doh doh.. need more sleep....
  19. ltla9000311

ltla9000311 Member

Kenlwest, that cougar looks great, I can't wait to see the finished product!

Hey Janx, there will be more than enough time to sleep.........when we're dead.
  20. exzealot

exzealot Member

Here are the tail surfaces... Still need to fix the chin - it's bugging me!

Ken

Attached Files: