1:400 GPM Hiryu

airbob

I have begun to build my updated version of the 1:300 scale GPM model of the IJN "Hiryu" aircraft carrier...for sake of space...I needed to reduce it to 1:400 scale...this is what I have completed on the frame so far...I got it pretty straight and level....the card stock was the wall mart 110lb that was glued back to back for a pretty stiff frame...

zumo

Jun 10, 2007
I didn't know that any model of the Hiryu had been made. I knew there was a Fly model of the Akagi in 1:300. Does anybody know of other japanese carriers, mainly Kaga or Soryu, in 1:200 to 1:300 scale (apart from GPM Shokaku/Zuikaku 1:200 and Answer Junyo 1:200)?

airbob

continuing IJN Huryu build

I have rebuilt the hull support structure due to trying to use a new technique for fitting the hull skin sections (apply the joiner tabs below each hull skin section to allow a smooth line from bow to stern on the below the waterline sections) ...however this model is old and rather crude and does not have a sufficient fine hull piece line to allow thiswall1 sooo I will continue to build it with the overlapping hull plates from bow to stern:eek:ops:...it looks so much cleaner!....also checking the IJN color tiles the below the waterline color is "linoleum" and is a real dark maroon...which I have changed to...I continue to build...may put some pics at my website and just give that link to show my progress....I am continuing:needpics:

Brent

Feb 3, 2004
Bob, great ideal.I have just started to print out my GPM Zuikaku at 1/400 scale.

Brent

airbob

This is the level that I have completed to date on the continuing upper deck assembly including the bow and stern multiple deck assemblies...This is enjoyable..but still continuing with the problems on of building this with unreadable Polish instructions and diagrams onlywall1....however I think I have the "hang" of it sufficiently to eventually finish this before 2008!:p...Bob out for now:wave:
Hiryu deck assembly1

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Really enjoying this one Bob damned if it does not look better than 1/200th you been borrowing Squinty's magnifying glasses.

YuG

Jun 22, 2007
blogs.yahoo.co.jp
I am very happy to find out 1:400 builder making ship beautifully.
I am planning to have IJN fleet in 1:400 scale some day.
Let me follow your way of making Hiryu when I make aircraft carrier.

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Good grief Bob you even have the flight deck crossbeams in.... sorry looking at other things instead of the keel which also looks superb.