1/33rd Tug for your Airplane

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by bclemens, Mar 18, 2008.

1. bclemens

bclemens Member

Hi, everyone,

If you are like me, you like to build your models in situ. Not necessarily a full-blown diorama, but a little something extra to put the model in context. Something to add some life.

In that vein, I offer a work-in-progress...Everyone who builds American military aircraft needs a tug to get the airplane out of the hanger:

[​IMG]

I wanted to have one for some future models, so I thought I'd try my hand at a design. I wanted to wait until it was done but I am very pleased with the preliminary results so I thought I'd post a thread and see if anyone else wanted one. I'll use this thread to occasionally report on progress and post issues I run into as they develop.

Here is my Sketchup design...I will continue to add to it- right now we need wheel details and tow hooks.

[​IMG]

I've begun a white model to test the design. Here are tonight's results:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This will open lots of possibilities...Tow bars, APUs, other accessories. I'll make the beta version available on the forum when it's ready.

This has been very rewarding to me- showing me that I can design a model in Sketchup, scale it correctly and print it out in Pepakura. And when it all comes together, it seems to fit. Very encouraging!

Cheers!
    Bruce
  2. 72BMWR75/5

72BMWR75/5 Member

Very cool.
  3. bclemens

bclemens Member

Here's some "tug" progress...

[​IMG]
    Front tires in place.

[​IMG]
    I used some of my diamond embossed paper for the front tire tread.

[​IMG]

Cheers!
    Bruce
  4. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Excellent start. Youve got it right so far.
  5. hmas

hmas Member

At last I can pull my planes around, thanks
    Tony
  6. bclemens

bclemens Member

Thanks- I'm off work next week- I can hit this project hard.
    Hopefully I'll have the first revision colored and up for distribution.

As I build the prototype I continue working on the Sketchup design and unfolding the parts in Pep.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers!
    Bruce
  7. bclemens

bclemens Member

One Evening, Two wheels, One tire.

Progress on the tug...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers!
    Bruce
  8. Alcides

Alcides Member

Very, very nice.

I think your tug it's alone even without an airplane near a great model.:thumb:
  9. bclemens

bclemens Member

Thanks, Alcides,
    I just hope the final product is found worthy of complementing someone's aircraft model. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Moving on to the front plate and hitch:

[​IMG]

I used my staking tool to punch out some of the holes.
    The plate is double-thick card stock laminated. In the final version I think I'll include two backs- one with the holes marked and one without...That way if a person wanted to punch out the holes like I do, they can use the unmarked back.

Last night I began placing some of the parts in Inkscape for final coloring, texturing and tabs...

[​IMG]

Cheers!
    Bruce
  10. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Absolutely! I have an F16, an F15, and an F18 kit that will go just perfectly with your little tug. Brilliant idea, and you can bet I'll be building at least one.

Excellent idea including the two backs.

Keep up the great work :thumb:.

SJ
  11. bclemens

bclemens Member

Thanks, SJ,
    I spent the last two days struggling with computer issues- seems Inkscape doesn't export any patterns when you create a .pdf of your work. It replaces them with solid fill. The tug uses several different patterns: diamond plate for the flooring, tire tread, and others.

In order to get the patterns I had to export the Inkscape file as a bitmap, then bring the bitmap back into Inkscape and export it as a .pdf. I tried an 8.5" x 11" (USA Letter) size .png at 600 dpi, and my old computer just couldn't do it. It was way to big a file.

I had to get a new computer to do this project ;) But now it won't connect to my router :( Oh well- ongoing battles.

I did manage to make some progress on the tug development in the middle of it all.

[​IMG]

Cheers!
    Bruce
  12. bclemens

bclemens Member

The 80/20 Rule Applies

Well, I've uploaded the first page of my 1/33rd Tug model.

[​IMG]

You can get the actual .pdf here:

http://www.avantcard.biz/tug.pdf

This sheet contains everything except the motor and rear wheels. I will be finishing the model on the second page and then develop a set of instructions.

I seem to be having troubles downloading the .pdf. If you are too, here's a bitmap:

http://www.avantcard.biz/Tug.png

This has been a doozy of a learning experience for me! I accomplished 80% of the project in the first 20% of the time...the bulk of the effort is going into the picky details...

In any case I offer this beta build for anyone who would like to get started and provide feedback.

In Lieu of instructions which are yet to come, here is the Sketchup model I am working from:

http://www.avantcard.biz/Tug.skp

Cheers!
    Bruce
  13. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Nice one!!! Thanks for sharing!
  14. bclemens

bclemens Member

Thanks, Lex. This has been a pleasure.

Progress today on page 2. Radiator, fan, engine block and battery in place.

[​IMG]

Meanwhile I started construction of the colored version. This evening I began with the front wheels. They are on this part of page 1:

[​IMG]

I laminated the card on black core mat board and cut out the four main pieces with a circle cutter, I love that circle cutter! :thumb:

[​IMG]

That was why I made it a point to put center marks on all the round parts on the sheet.

The hub portion gets sandwiched between the two larger tire pieces, then the whole thing is wrapped with the tread.

[​IMG]

A disk from the leather punch makes the bearing cap, and then I applied tiny lug nuts for fun.

[​IMG]

A narrow strip of yellow paper goes around the opening to finish the rim, then I decided to roll a little valve stem from a scrap of black paper.

Two parts down- lots more to go!:eek:

Cheers!
    Bruce
  15. bclemens

bclemens Member

Hi, all.
    Still working on page two. I took a break from the motor and worked on the rear wheels today...

[​IMG]

Before I could work on the tires I had to have the two wheels they mount on. The wheels have a lot of parts. Here are the two I built today:

[​IMG]

There's an inner and outer cylinder and two end rings that hold them together in concentric circles. Once again the circle cutter earns its keep.

Then there's an inner hub that consists of one ring and two ends:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The two assemblies are joined by six rolled pieces of yellow paper:

[​IMG]

In the pics you see the tiny tapered steel broach that helps me make consistent rolled tubes to a small diameter...

[​IMG]

Here is the inner core with the tubes attached- ready to go into the outer assembly...

[​IMG]

What it looks like joined...

[​IMG]

...and the back side...

[​IMG]

Then we add the triangular braces:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Little bolts help the finish...

[​IMG]

Time to start on the tires.

[​IMG]

The tread is a lot of slow, tedious work...

[​IMG]

But it's worth it!

[​IMG]

Cheers!

Bruce
  16. hmas

hmas Member

What no inner tube & valve?sign1
  17. lriera

lriera Member

I like very much your design and your build.

Thanks for sharing.
  18. bclemens

bclemens Member

:wave: Greetings to Australia and to Spain! Thanks for your notes.

I reworked the tires a little today...

[​IMG]

I added some tabs and changed some dimensions. I think the assembly is easier now and they look more like what I intended.

[​IMG]

All the re-work that is needed to make a buildable model sure takes time! Oh well...onwards- Back to unfolding and adding the motor parts. I can see light at the end of the tunnel! I'm mentally about ready for a new project...:p

[​IMG]

Cheers!
    Bruce
  19. bclemens

bclemens Member

Tug Progress

Finally finished the tires, and tonight I rebuilt the chassis and mounted them to it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I can see that I need to include a color piece for the underside of the fenders.

[​IMG]

I am pleased with the progress. I am glad I can start putting on the finishing touches!

[​IMG]

Cheers!
    Bruce
  20. bclemens

bclemens Member

Another evening's work

[​IMG]

Here are the front plate and the two hitches.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is turning out to be a fun model- you can be a little rough with the finish and it doesn't really detract from the personality of the tug.

[​IMG]

One of the great things about modeling like this is that you spend so much time with your subject that you learn lots of things you wouldn't otherwise know. For example did you know the front hitch is actually called a "Pintle Hook"? I never would have known that ;-)

Cheers!
    Bruce