1/32 Tier One

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Hans Christian, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

First of all, I want to apologize for not posting this in-progress build to our forums earlier... (because I don't know if codes will work here, but fortunately, it also works here!)

So here's Dr. Z's White Knight & Ralph Currell's SpaceShipOne!

First stop, Scaled's Carrier Airplane :D

The Cockpit/Front Fuselage Pieces:

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/Broncorancher/wk001.jpg
    Together w/ Ralph's 1/48 SS1 card model I built as practice for the 1/32 scale build of the same thing later, the interior was painted flat black to represent to dark color of the carbon composite used for the construction of the real airplane (the woven carbon fibers are noticeable from the inside of the real WK & SS1)

[​IMG]
    Co-Pilot & Flight Engineer's Seat

[​IMG]
    Pilot Seat (The side panels containing the throttle control, flap control, centerline pylon release etc. were drawn in MS paint, these items are one of the (should I say, many) details not included in Dr. Z's kit... :confused: )

[​IMG]
    The Instrument Panel (All of the details in Dr. Z's Instrument Panels were inaccurate :|, so I erased it all in MS paint & replacement details were again drawn in Paint, all based on the WK Instrument Panel). The diameter is about 1-1.5 inch ;) (the SS1 cockpit will also receive Dr. Z's edited cockpit)

[​IMG]
    Pilot seat installed

[​IMG]
    Instrument Panel Installed, this is before installation of control stick, which I forgot to take a picture... :cry:

[​IMG]
    Rudder pedals, before front fuselage closure

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Completed Front Fuselage

And continuing to th rest of the fuselage sections (again with Ralph's 1/48 scale SS1)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the tail boom assembly

For those who have het to have Dr. Z's kit, the Tail Boom's internal framework was actually a single piece with glued formers at each section, but for this build,it was ineffective because the skin didn't fit properly when applied (learned it after a costly mistake involving the left tail boom, & have to print another set of parts for it :sad: )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    So my solution is to cut it in pieces where the elliptical formers were glued, and to my relief, it went better than expected. :-D

[​IMG]
    The finished tail booms

For me, this is probably the most difficult part of the assembly, especially the tail (except for the elevators), because I found it to be very difficult to shape properly, and I have to cover the tails with a second "skin" to hide away the many wrinkles & cuts that I made just to form those stubborn parts to their proper shapes :nope:

Wing Assembly

[​IMG]
    The wing's internal framework is a major chore. Invloving many strips & boxes of cardboard, but the end result was a very rigid framework, with gluing points which make the wing skin a joy to stick in :-D

I remembered sir John John's (NYC Irish) comments on the wing spars of this thing, so I expected the worst, fortunately, its not bad at all... In fact, I find building the wings to be easier than the tail booms... :confused:

[​IMG]
    The finished wing, measuring to about 3 ft

[​IMG]
    the major pieces

[​IMG]
    Now all joined together (many apologies for the dark image, inadequate lighting I guess... :cry: )

[​IMG]
    Left Engine (no intake/exhaust detail yet...)

[​IMG]
    What I've finished so far in the past 3 weeks, next to the 1/48 scale WK/SS1 combo I built about a year & 5 months ago since this picture was taken, & a foot ruler placed on the left wing for size reference

Before this photo was shot, the model fell off my hand, nose first, destroying the nose cone, but the damage was actually a pleasant surprise, because I got to replace it w/ a better formed nose cone w/ better glued windows (the previous one suffered from wrinkles & windows w/ unglued gaps). :yep:

After this, I sanded the model to (hopefully) erase the wrinkles (especially on the left tail boom, which was painfully studded with wrinkles), and I sprayed it with white laquer paint, but a few moments later, it would turn out to be a catastrophe!!! The sanded parts didn't disappear, but instead, they were highlighted the paint plus the sanding also made a lot of "paper dust" (like the ones you see when sunlight shines on them when dispersed on air), and as a result the smooth finished that I hoped for is gone! (OH NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!) :-o

But fortunately, all hope was not lost, I was ready to end the build for good when I thought of an idea, which ironically, was the one I'm using for my Marscenter STS Atlantis (nearing completion)... :idea:

What if I "re-skin" the whole model? (Huh?)

Well, the idea was simple, print another set of parts, but for the exterior skin of the model only, and instead of using cardboard, use the typical bond paper, then brush on some white glue to the back side, then apply it to the part where it is matched. And I also observed that bond paper with white glue exhibited some sort of "stretchiness" that let it conform to the surface. ;)

And finally, the would be ending was finally lifted! Because the "re-skin" method did 3 things to the model: :cool:

- It completely covered up the wrinkles & cuts while exhibithing a very smooth finish (and an even smoother finish when I sprayed it with a clear laquer paint as a sealant)
    - It eliminated those nasty "paper dusts"
    - It also added stuctural strength to the model

To my big relief, the model was back on track, and finally, after a few days of back-to-back assembly, the carrier airplane was done!

[​IMG]
    Starboard Side

[​IMG]
    Port Side

[​IMG]
    Port side, close-up to cockpit/nose

[​IMG]
    BTW, the (bond paper) decal you see just behind the Official White Knight Logo is (obviously) the symbols for the 17 successful test flights (with some minor incidents) of SpaceShipOne, from the first glide test to the final, X-Prize winning flight. I manually drew this from MS Paint. ;)

[​IMG]
    Here's the actual, I didn't include the 2 other artworks below, since it represents the X-37 Glide test that NASA conducted in cooperation with Scaled.

[​IMG]
    Forward side, close-up

[​IMG]
    Forward View (overall)

[​IMG]
    Aft View

Individual details

[​IMG]
    SS1-WK mating pylon (the 2 anti-sway braces glued in each wing are scratchbuild, since Dr. Z didn't provide it... :( )

[​IMG]
    Right Main Landing Gear, similar to the left (the original card kit landing gear struts are just plain wrong, so i replaced it with an enlarged version of the mains that came from, (you guessed it!) Jan Mueller's White Knight! (which is correct), and the wheels came from Dr. Z's kit, but reduced in diameter slightly because its too large... :???:

[​IMG]
    Right Vertical Stabilizer (with camera pod, again not provided in his kit, but I got it from the SS1 model) :eek:

[​IMG]
    Camera Pod View (well, sort of...) :eek:
  2. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

arggggh your pics are not showing up....Damn my works Websense policy...have to wait 8 hours to get home to see this

But Im sure it is great

John john
  3. Hans Christian

Next in line is of course, SpaceShipOne! :-D

[​IMG]
    Cockpit/Nose pieces ;)

[​IMG]
    Ballast Cabinets (Scratchbuilt)
    During the X-Prize qualifying flights, the FAA was in the process of approving the law in which people will be permitted to fly in space (at their own risk), but it didn't make it on time for the flights, so, Scaled resorted to the alternative, put ballasts that have an equivalent weight of 2 adult persons (this altenative is also stated in the X-Prize Rules), but instead of putting sand bags, dummies or any heavy object, Burt Rutan decided that each and every employee of Scaled should send some object or item or memento that will symbolize them and put them inside the ballast cabinet, along with some toys and other stuff... But for this model, I put 1 stone each inside :-D

[​IMG]
    SS1 Pilot seat :cool:

[​IMG]
    Seat & ballast cabinets installed

[​IMG]
    SS1 Instrument Panel, Control Stick & Rudder pedals

[​IMG]
    Now installed in the nose section

[​IMG]
    All closed up! :-D

[​IMG]
    Dorsal View

And continuing with the rest of the fuselage;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Wing Spars installed

[​IMG]
    Another Dorsal View

[​IMG]
    Wings now finished

[​IMG]
    All Finished! :-D (Apologies, first, I forgot to take pictures for the tail boom assembly, and for the dark pic, again no adequate lighting... :nope: )

[​IMG]
    Another one

[​IMG]
    Next to Ralph's original 1/48 scale SS1. And also, I want to tell that after I finished this one, I kinda felt that the 1/48 kit just "shrunked", because it felt
    somewhat "smaller" everytime I hold it... :???:

[​IMG]
    WK Attachment Points (BTW, Ralph only provided one of these tiny parts (part A23), but the real SS1 have 2, so I printed another one on a scrap cardboard :-D )

[​IMG]
    Right Tail Boom camera pod (sorry again for the inadequate lighting & blurry pic... :cry: ), I printed a smaller version (about the size of the normal 1/48 kit) for this one

[​IMG]
    Another Shot

[​IMG]
    And Another

[​IMG]
    And Another! :rofl:
  4. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

Excelent Work!
  5. Hans Christian

The tandem!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well, as you can see here, I still didn't joined the 2 together, because I packed it up to transport it to our school & display it in our recently held Science & technology week exhibit ;)

[​IMG]

the 2 in the box that my sister made, along with some display write-ups plus the official Scaled lithographs

Unfortunately, again, I wasn't able to take pics of the actual display because I simply carry too much study materials everytime I go to school, so I can't carry our camera along (I'm using Sony's TRV 33 Camcorder BTW) :nope:

So after spending 10 days at school, here's the tandem, finally together :-D

[​IMG]
    Whole view

[​IMG]
    Port View

[​IMG]
    Starboard View

[​IMG]
    Aft View

[​IMG]
    Forward View

[​IMG]
    Forward View (close-up)

[​IMG]
    (Much) closer view :rofl:

[​IMG]
    Left Perspective View

[​IMG]
    Right Perspective View

[​IMG]
    SS1 Right Perspective View

[​IMG]
    SS1 Left Perspective View

[​IMG]
    Zenith-Aft View

[​IMG]
    Another Whole view

[​IMG]
    Left Nose view

[​IMG]
    Right Nose view

[​IMG]
    Zenith View (with a foot ruler for reference :-D )

[​IMG]
    Together with sir Jan Mueller's 1/48 WK & Ralph's SS1 (which by now, is about 1 year & 7 moons old! :grin: )

Whew!!! That's 4 months of waiting, planning & working! And to my relief, despite some pretty catastrophic errors, it turned out nicely! :yep:

Well, if I'm gonna rate Dr. Z's White Knight, I'll give it 8 out of 10, because his WK is (by far) the most accurately shaped model today, only to be messed up by some inaccurate markings & some incorrect details, but all easy to fix.

So that's it! :-D Comments are the only parts left!
  6. Hans Christian

I used the image code for the pics sir...

Maybe a little bit of waiting for the pics to load might solve the prob (but I'm not sure...) :confused:
  7. Hans Christian

Thanks a lot! :-D
  8. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Wow!!!

Beautiful job there Hans!
    Your models really turned out great!
    I hope mine turns out to look at least half as well as yours!
    Great photo shoot, even without proper lighting the model shows up quite well!

As a side note; I do not know what I like better the model or your gorgeous dining room furniture!:grin:

Russell
  9. Hans Christian

Oh please post pics of your model here!!! :-D

Um, our dining room furniture is just small, only allows 6 to eat comfortably, but the wood carvers did an excellent job for the furniture though :-D
  10. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

nice job!

suddenly i feel like my original size wk-ss1 is wholefully inadequate:)
  11. Hans Christian

PICS!!!!! Hehehe!!!!! :-D
  12. jparenti

jparenti Member

Bravo! I weep to know my mind has imagined it and yet my hands have not the ability. :cry: The detail on the interior is excellent, and I know I'd enjoy building it. I'm just not very good at drawing my own models. (Okay, so I've NEVER scratchbuilt a model. I wouldn't even know how...)
  13. Hans Christian

I know how you feel sir, I'm also like you... I don't even know how to use photoshop... :cry: