1/250 Naval Cannon

fishBait

Mar 15, 2012
modelsnmoore.com
The USS Cairo inspired me to design cannon that could be used to pose with open gun doors. I chose two different cannon to modle; namely the 30 pound Navy Parrot Rifle and the 32 pounder smoothbore. I started with designing the proper carriages and tubes of each.

Photo 1 - 30 pound Navy Parrot Rifle

Photo 2 - 32 pounder smoothbore

At this point, things were looking good. After reducing to 1/250 scale and looking at the parts, it was evident that at scale, the differences were minute. I used the Parrot rifle and smoothed off the breach area. Then converting to a parts page, we finally got a look at the build problems.

Photo -3 Parts for one cannon. The parts are designed to fold over and glue prior to removal. This gives better regidity for the carriage. Notice the fine detail parts.

Photo - 4 Starting the build sequence, the carriage sides have been doubled and removed from the parts page as has the cross members.

More Later,

fishBait

Attachments

• C-01NavyParrotRifle30#.jpg
    C-01NavyParrotRifle30#.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 16
  • C-03Smoothbore32#.jpg
    C-03Smoothbore32#.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 15
  • C-04cannonparts.jpg
    C-04cannonparts.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 15
  • C-05startbuild.jpg
    C-05startbuild.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 11

fishBait

Mar 15, 2012
modelsnmoore.com
Photo 5 - Assemble the carriage by gluing the cross braces between the sides. Roll the barrel with its charaistic taper.

Photo 6 - Mount the tube on the carriage as shown.

Photo 7 - Size comparison, that is a normal toothpick laying beside the cannon.

Photo 8 - On deck ready for action. Notice the #11 Exacto blade for size comparison.

At 1/250 scale, especially for an interior cannon firing through ports, fine detail is just not visible not is it needed. Take the wheels for example; I included them in the design process and parts output. They were so small, I had to use a small punch to remove them from the paper. Then they were so small that applying them was a chore. Then the look was terrible, looks much better without wheels.

Get the parts page cleaned up and instructions ready and a page full of the cannon will be available as a free download on Modeling Resource and Downloads

Enjoy,

fishBait

Attachments

• C-06 cannon&carriage.jpg
    C-06 cannon&carriage.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 13
  • C-08Assembled Cannon.jpg
    C-08Assembled Cannon.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 15
  • C-09Size Comparison.jpg
    C-09Size Comparison.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 13