1:250 modelling

tstuff

Nov 22, 2017
Hi folks,

I'm building a few 1:250 dioramas, one being a busy port and other places around the world. I've made a few hundred shipping containers to make authentic looking stacks, I was curious what you'd suggest as a filler for them? Something viscous that I can pour in, that will set fast and rock solid, won't bleed into the 160gsm card and doesn't cost a mint :) The intent is to make them solid so they sit properly and also have them the exact width so they look like a believable ISO shipping container stack.

Does anyone have any realistic container ships and modern gantry crane models around? I have older looking cranes but not the current types.
Edit: The Maher Container Crane found on this site suits the bill quite well :)

ta,
TS

Attachments

• 1_250_containers_boxed_IMG_2898_small.jpg
    1_250_containers_boxed_IMG_2898_small.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 1_250_containers_IMG_2794_small.JPG
    1_250_containers_IMG_2794_small.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Jun 24, 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
Hi tstuff, welcome to Zealot, the place to be for any kind of modelling :) We're really a great bunch of friendly & helpful folks, with the occasional bad joke ;)

I found silicone sealant makes a good filler and doesn't leech. Bit messy to work with though

tstuff

Nov 22, 2017
Thanks for the welcome Cybergrinder.

If it's the sealant you squeeze out of the compression handle gun, I'm not sure it's viscous enough to flow and settle. I used self-levelling sealant on my RV but that's way pricey.

I'm doing a shout out to see if anyone has used a product that is as watery as PVA glue and sets very firmly. In this application I'd fill the model containers fully so that they had a flat base and wouldn't want to topple over so easily. Also by doing the "pour" in a measured holder the width of the container would be correct so it'd interlock with others properly. I'll likely wander down the hardware shop and see what they have in stock. I'm trying to avoid anything that needs outside ventilation though.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I believe you would be better served painting the insides with a glue that dries hard, and using box shaped formers. This will prevent them from warping. Moisture is what makes the paper warp, Clear coating, or painting them inside and out will seal them. Start with very light coats, the work your way up. You could do the containers in batches, turning them over. If they are sealed by glue, you won't have to worry about doing the insides. Get sore strong wire for the crane legs, those tend to fold over time, wire in the corners of the legs will keep them straight.

Welcome to Zealot!! ;)

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
Hello and welcome to Zealot. These containers look really good! I have to echo @zathros. I too would use the same process that he suggested.
It looks like you have the beginnings for a Colonial Mover ship.
movers01web.jpg

I am looking forward to seeing your diorama.

tstuff

Nov 22, 2017
The downside to the "build four at four times the price" mentality is you spend your whole weekend making ships bollards.

Attachments

• wip_bollards_glued_IMG_2976_gimp.JPG
    wip_bollards_glued_IMG_2976_gimp.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 8
Reactions: Cybergrinder

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
One thing I was looking at on all of these download and print containers is not one of the have a bottom? That automatically makes them weak as all get out..very simple to cut a rectangle the size of the top and add a tab to each side and glue to in side of you container..that alone would strengthen and keep the things square, and if you add a weight of some sort to it..stability as well.

also as I was looking http://www.norbtach.nl/bouwplaat/ TONS o CONTAINERS and all manner of stuff!!!
http://www.nyk.com/kids/papercraft/castor/index.asp container ship..not sure if this is what you were looking for, but it is full hull, and better than most 1/800
as far a a gantry...looks like scratch build time to me.. not a lot to them really..so should be a simple job...
Gantry.jpg Gantry2.jpg cmt_gantry-1024x688.gif

tstuff

Nov 22, 2017
Those are the bouplaat containers in my image at the top, they don't come with a base so extra work is needed to make them structural. And because they have so little mass and need to be exact proportions to stack correctly I'm going to add a filler and have it set in a fixture to enforce correct width. I'll get onto that in a few days from now.

Thanks for the link, I've downloaded the NYK Castor PDF, will see if I can tweak it to suit.. add more photo realism etc.