1:24th "Boot Hill Express" by Monogram

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
'And for my next truck'....
BootHill_01.JPG
The Old (1967) Monogram Custom Car Series "Boot Hill Express" in 1:24th scale.

This is the 2012 repop of the old 1967 mold and as such it shows it's age with tons of flash and sink holes, and I've found a couple pieces that are "short shot", meaning that the mold didn't fill properly.
I'll try and make it as best as possible.
what's in the box
Three bags of parts, BootHill_02.JPG
Two sprues of chromed partsBootHill_2.JPG
four sprues of white plastic, BootHill_1.JPG
one sprue of clear parts, and 4 vinyl tires un baggedBootHill_3.JPG
And the instruction booklet.BootHill_03.JPG
More updates to come as construction and painting begin.

micahrogers

Staff member
The first pic is the base chassis assembled, the front steering bar was short shot and missing one end, the rear side springs were also short shot so the whole assembly is just put into location and CA glued together. BootHill_4.JPG The engine block was okayBootHill_5.JPGand I used my newly learned skills to wire the distributor. BootHill_6.JPG BootHill_7.JPG and here the plug wires are in place and the exhaust tubes are attached, the right hand tube piece was also short shot, but I was able to hide that :)BootHill_8.JPG BootHill_9.JPG BootHill_10.JPG
More pics to come...

silveroxide

reminiscence of the old days. I remember building that one a long time ago. Some one madeit and enhanced the engine compartment wire wiring and hosed using wire from phone lines. Looking on with interest on this old classic.

micahrogers

Staff member
Slow Day at work so I'm home at 11 AM EDT.

I got the engine and rear suspension mounted to the chassis. I forgot to take a pic of the rear suspension/axle unit before I installed it to the chassis.
BootHill_11.JPG BootHill_12.JPG BootHill_13.JPG BootHill_14.JPG
in the next two pics are close ups of the "Tail Lights" and rear wheels.
BootHill_15.JPG BootHill_16.JPG
and the chassis from above
BootHill_17.JPG
Bobbi wants her Boot Hill to be darker than the kit calls for, so the main body color is AV Vallejo Game Color Brassy Brass instead of Bright Gold. The wood panels are base coated with Mahogany, and shadowed with a mix of Black Shade and thinned Mahogany, they will be finished with a dry brush of Flat Earth to finish the wood effect.
BootHill_18.JPG
More to come...
And Thanks Silver... I slapped this one together back when I was a kid, Redoing it now with all my skill to make Bobbi, my wife, happy :)

micahrogers

Staff member
It goes together fast once all the painting is done
The interior floor with the fuel cell installed BootHill_19.JPG BootHill_20.JPG and with the walls added, I made my plug wires yellow and added a blue fuel line.BootHill_23.JPG BootHill_25.JPG and the assembled car, BootHill_26.JPG BootHill_27.JPG BootHill_28.JPG BootHill_29.JPG BootHill_30.JPG BootHill_31.JPG
Next is the skeleton to stand beside it....
more to come.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
This would be worth backward engineering into a paper model. UHU has already provided enough skeletons!! :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
That really did come out nice. Some background size pictures would be nice. You could upload big ones as .zip files. :)

micahrogers

Staff member
That really did come out nice. Some background size pictures would be nice. You could upload big ones as .zip files. :)
These pics are the ones my camera makes set at 8 Mp,
work on the skeleton,
all pieces assembled and primedBootHill_38.JPG
then the skeleton itself washed with a black wash to add depthBootHill_39.JPGBootHill_40.JPG
and details painted,BootHill_41.JPG BootHill_42.JPG
and doneBootHill_43.JPGBootHill_44.JPG
and a shot of them all togetherBootHill_45.JPGBootHill_46.JPG

and a fuzzy flash shot of it on my mantleBootHill_47.JPG
and now to decide what to do next...

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I should be getting "Li'l Coffin" in this Friday, or Monday. I plan to reverse engineer it into paper! I built this model around 5 times when iwas a kid. I would either give it to a brother or friend, then realize I wanted another one. :)Lil.jpg

micahrogers

Staff member
My only multi build kits so far have been the revel 1/72nd SR-71, built about 4 different times, the Monogram 1/48th P-51, built at least 5 of that one...and the Enterprise Tos 18 inch kit built at least a half dozen... The Refit E... a half dozen times... The E-d 1/1400th built 3 times...

But I know what ya mean about building them and giving them away then remembering that I wanted it...

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
You might want a case for the Boot Hill Express, unless you have a very dust free home. :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Yes, t still is. I want to make this model out of paper and am trying to think of how I could do it. It has many compound radii. :)

carlos filipe

carlos filipe
To protect models from the dust, I have vitrines. But they are "overbooked". I have to order more, but am with "lack of time" as we say around here....