1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Canada donated the first Robotic Arm, and the rest have been purchased from Canada. They are used on the I.S.S. also. ;)

Fantastic Tonino. All those buttons show me I could never have been an astronaut!! ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Tonino

Tonino

Apr 15, 2004
Republic of San Marino
www.facebook.com
...and here I am with last batch of shuttle panels. This doesn't mean that the drawing work is over, but it's a considerable achievement in the whole work program.
Eventually I've finished placing switches... at least on the computer... soon I'll be busy placing them on the actual model. Not sure what's the hardest work :)

... ... Well I was ready to upload images but... ahem... :realmad::headbange::rage: seems that file upload engine has stopped working again :sadno: I can't show you anything for now, sorry.

I'll be back as soon as I'll be able to load photos...

...waiting news from IT department...

:nailbiting:

Tonino

Apr 15, 2004
Republic of San Marino
www.facebook.com
OK boys... seems that file upload service is active again...

Here are my lost panels:
a11.jpg

A12.13.16.jpg

A13.14.17.jpg

A15.jpg

and, eventually, a complete view of the lower aft section...

AFT total.jpg

Next time I'll show you what I've done yesterday on the MFD's... :-D

bye!

Attachments

• aft boxes.jpg
    aft boxes.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: Rhaven Blaack

Tonino

Apr 15, 2004
Republic of San Marino
www.facebook.com
Back again to MFDs
Some time ago, talking about dashboard (in this post) I told you about an observation received from shuttle experts at Exciting Simulations that drove me to consider redrawing the screens to conform them to the latest software version used on real missions (OI33, here is an interesting article about this subject). As this software was first used in STS126 my model, who depicts a later mission, should include the new screens.

So, as yesterday the weather here was really bad (snowstorms...) and I was FORCED to pass Sunday at home ( :D ) I decided to rebuild the screens from scratch...

Here the results:

Screenshot 2017-01-16 16.26.14.jpg
On the left you can see a photo of the real screen, on the right my copy.

Screenshot 2017-01-16 16.26.59.jpg
Screenshot 2017-01-16 16.27.17.jpg
The screens has different color tones according to what is seen in this photo I kept as a reference. I think the astronauts turned up and down the BRT command to adjust the brightness of the single MFD to their preferences so it was possible to have some screens darker and others lighter. Tell me what do you think about this feature: do you like it or the dashboard would be better with uniform colors?

Here is a general view.
Screenshot 2017-01-16 16.28.33.jpg
Give me your feedback about this update.
Ciao!

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
@Tonino Personally, I think that you are doing a PHENOMENAL JOB on this project. The fact that you are doing the research to make this project as accurate as possible has set a standard that new designers should strive for.
As for the screens being different shades of blue, I like the idea of such. I think that it adds to the "realism" of the model.
KEEP UP THE FANTASTIC WORK!!!

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
You do know that the panels of the Colonial Viper were inspired by the panels of the Space Shuttle? In fact the technology ued on the Galactica bridge and on the Vipers was 10 years ahead of NASA. This is so COOOOL, Tonino! :)

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Jan 27, 2016
Czech Republic
Wonderfull job Tonino, it looks so superb and cute. I like it with different colors. This variation also makes it interesting and cool from artistic point of view.

The astronauts may turned up and down the BRT command, but another explanation could be, that different colour of screens is caused by lightsources in cockpit that reflects differently according to their positions to the photographer. Is there another photo from different angle that can proove or discard this theory? Another reason could be that screens has different age - some are newer, some are older :).

Reactions: Tonino and subnuke

Nando

Designer Extraordinaire
Oct 5, 2006
Turin (Italy)
Hi Tonino,
Fantastic work on the graphics so far!
I think you have to contact the Nasa and propose they use your panels in their documentation, so flat and ugly in the original.
Now it's time to see something in 3d, considering the weather outside ;)

Best, Nando :)

PS:I have some problem to upload a picture of a snowy San Marino

Last edited:

Nando

Designer Extraordinaire
Oct 5, 2006
Turin (Italy)
The snowy portrait of San Marino.
Loaded on Flickr to display it.

32325257386_a9986c78db_z.jpg

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Wow!! That is fantastic. I remember flying I.F.R., and that Ball and Compass was all I could look at. I had a Hood on that would not allow me too look out the cabin. I flew an hour like that and had to find the runway, line up and land the airplane. When I was 200 feet in altitude, and 1000 feet from the run way, my instructor removed the hood. I was dead on, in line with the runway, and began to flare and made a perfect 3 point landing. The instruments got me there, even though my body felt like I was turning when the Ball was telling me I was straight and level. Lots of memories. Always trust the gauges, and make sure they work before you take off. Great job Tonino!! ;)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
The snowy portrait of San Marino.
Loaded on Flickr to display it.

32325257386_a9986c78db_z.jpg

San Marino looks beautiful all year round, a beautiful, historical place on Earth.

Tonino

Apr 15, 2004
Republic of San Marino
www.facebook.com
My only regret, in my life, is that I've never actually flown an airplane, never took flight lessons. I can say I always wanted to, but never did. Only my fault: I'm firmly convinced that every man is architect of his own fate, if you really want something you eventually find the way to achieve it. Perhaps I'm just too lazy... Anyway I've made up for that... building lots of cockpits, little copies of what I would have liked to sit into...

I think this thread is an expression of my - never satisfied - "wish to fly" :)

Reactions: Rhaven Blaack

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
It
My only regret, in my life, is that I've never actually flown an airplane, never took flight lessons. I can say I always wanted to, but never did. Only my fault: I'm firmly convinced that every man is architect of his own fate, if you really want something you eventually find the way to achieve it. Perhaps I'm just too lazy... Anyway I've made up for that... building lots of cockpits, little copies of what I would have liked to sit into...

I think this thread is an expression of my - never satisfied - "wish to fly" :)
It is never too late!!!! ;)