1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
That is a FANTASTIC looking controler! Like Blake7 said, I would not have believed that it was layered cardstock, had I not seen the actual build. It is details like this, that really make this project (and any project for that matter) really POP!!!

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
That Joystick is excellently executed. Tonino level craftsmanship. :):bowdown:

Tonino

Thanks all my friends!
Now I'm doing some work to complete the aft section before going to build the ceiling.

A LITTLE HELP REQUEST!

I am a little confused about a detail that is not well described in the images I have.

It's that sort of bracket you can see aside the aft joystick in this photo.

supporto aft joy 3.jpg

I don't know if this is an element connecting the joystick box to the aft console or it is a separate thing. I don't know what is its function as well.
It appears to have a sort of button on top of it. Perhaps it is to lock / unlock the joystick to move it forward before using it and to stow it away after use.

Anyway in all photos, like this one, you cannot figure well how this bracket looks like. you can see only part of it.
Anyone has a better photo or a technical drawing depicting exactly how this part is conformed?

Thank you in advance for any contribution.

Last edited:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
The only part of the joystick that moves is at the very top on top and with the rubber bellow. These Joysticks are electronically coupled using magnets, no touching parts. an algorithm calculates the change of magnetism on the opposing facing magnetic fields, allowing the sensitivity to be changed, and changed into 1's and 0's, so a computer can read the magnetic fields change and use that to accurately control the input, this does away with potentiometers which inherently get dirty, like the ones used in computer game joystick controllers.. The rest of the assembly is firmly mounted. What you see in the back is the actual mount, and the front section contains the top of the Joystick, with it's connections, which can be disassembled in the ship to be serviced if necessary. The screws on the front and sides are how you remove it. The connections being inside for easy removal change or service. :)

McTschegsn

I think this is some kind of attachment. Dont really know for what kind of stuff. The topmost part looks like a clamp or something...
Astounding work so far, mate!

Last edited:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
These kind of Joy sticks are used on the large cranes that move shipping containers, where the guy sits up 100 feet, in a glass box and unloads shipping containers from ships in a very short amount of time. In the movie, with Tom Cruise, "The War of the World's" remake, you can see him using the same kind of joy stick, very light touches to movie tractor truck trailers by a 10th of a inch in accuracy, or 5 feet per second..

The work on various principles, most are going with "Hall Effect" No touching parts, principle below, I believe that is what the space shuttle uses. I wish they made these affordable for gaming. A place not to far from me makes these. They are now announcing a USB version. I have no idea if Windows would even see it. I am sure it uses it's own proprietary software.:

Hal Effect Joystick.png
Scpi91e1JKc

Tonino

Zathros, you are lighting up again my old simmer soul... I'm having a serious craving for a looong session of Space Shuttle Mission... This can distract me somewhat from my shuttle build, but it is the reason for I choose this particular subject for my first design work.

Well, while I search for my old (OLD!) Microsoft FF2 (incredibly still working under W10) I'll show you some good pieces I just completed for my aft cabin.

First of all the central block, the approaching computer and all the commands used for rendez-vous (with any object in orbit, space station, Hubble telescope or broken satellite... recalling simmimg sessions, one of the thoughest thing to do because the space out there is VERY BIG!)

DSC08620.JPG
This tiny box has a really complex shape, not easy at all to do those folds in such a little piece.
DSC08622.JPG
But with a little help from my beloved mini-tabs the box came out pretty well

DSC08624.JPG
Some more surface details to complete the distance measurement device displays.

DSC08625.JPG
...and all the parts to complete the LOS (line of sight) indicator and the translational hand command joystick.

DSC08627.JPG
The components in a more advanced building phase.

DSC08633.JPG DSC08635.JPG
And the completed assembly.
The handle protection gave me something to worry about... but eventually all went fine... and this is now a really nice piece of equipment.

Another little piece I'll have to place on the console is aft mission timer.
DSC08629.JPG
Another complex shape that I had to redesign in two separate components (my first try was one-only-piece nearly unbuildable complex group of faces and folds...)

DSC08637.JPG
This way is really much simpler.

And, last but not least... the rear MFD, the last one for this build.
DSC08639.JPG

... more to come ...

Last edited:

Tonino

... to complete the rear equipments one last device is needed: the two video monitors used to perform almost any external task without doing an EVA. Anyone of you that played a little with simulators knows very well how much time you spend looking at those monitors trying to grab something with the Remote Manipulator System (the external "arm"). A really complex task if you want to do it in the right way (without switching to external views... ;) )

DSC08630.JPG
DSC08631.JPG
DSC08632.JPG
The rear shape of this assembly is not well visible in photographs. I tried to obtain a good compromise between look and "buildability"

Video screens are taken from real NASA STS134 operation checklist freely available on web.

The big problem, at this point, was how to place the monitors in the right position inside the cabin. The only workaround I was able to find is this ugly cylinder that has no real counterpart in the actual shuttle.

DSC08649.JPG DSC08650.JPG

But this was the only way to fix it in place as I have no idea of the real aspect of the actual hanging mechanism.

Well, we'll see how it looks once in place... very soon!

Last edited:

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
I don't know how you manage such small parts consistently! (I was getting a bit frustrated with fiddly bits towards the end of the thunderbirds...)

Brilliant build!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Me like, a lot!! To be honest, I hadn't known that Hall effect joysticks had come so far down in price. Now, optically coupled ones are said to be the new thing, still expensive though. I learned to navigate on FS9, it saved me 1o hours of learning navigation in a real plane. I solo'd in 18 hours.

By the way Tonino, the way you layered up that joy stick was brilliant. That method could be used for so many small parts that would yield solid, strong fiddly bits that would stand the test of time, well done sir!
Also, the rest of what you just posted has confirmed this should be in a museum. I have one in my house. In case you need to store it someplace.:sticktongue: ;)

Tonino

Again about aft joystick mounting...

I eventually was lucky and found, in another very huge collection of original photos (at the Library of Congress website), a nice photo taken at a low angle in the aft cockpit, showing the RHC assembly from a new point of view

AFTdown.jpg

Since this photo was available for download in a really HiRes format, I was able to focus on a single detail that was the one I was searching for.

supporto aft joy.jpg

So I now have a better idea about what is behind the corner :)
In detail I had confirmation that there is a sort of tube connecting the joystick box to console side wall.

Having this photo as a reference I draw a whole new detail using the same "layers" technic as for the joysticks.

DSC08643.JPG DSC08644.JPG DSC08645.JPG

And this is the final assembly

DSC08646.JPG DSC08647.JPG DSC08648.JPG

And now the aft section is really complete.

I'm so satisfied with the result that I dare to show it side by side with the real Endeavour ! :D

DSC08654.JPG 1.JPG
:D :D :D :D !!!!

Last edited: