1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Wow!! I mean !O!!! You really have consistency of excellence, unlike nothing I've seen before. This has to be one of the finest conceptualizations to actual models I have ever seen. The attention of detail is astounding. You'll need an Argon filled case. It doesn't have to be pressurized, just filled and sealed, to protect it from entropy. :)

Tonino

Hello my friends, I'm still alive (to recall Valve's Portal soundtrack... :) ) I didn't stop building, even if my available time is currently very little. I'm going on a little step at a time so I don't have great progresses to show, just some detailing.

The first thing I want to show you is the fire extinguisher.
It was the first detail I made to test my designer skills.
The first prototype was printed on matt paper. Looking at it I realized that a fire extinguisher is usually painted in glossy red so I printed it on photographic paper and now it looks much better.

DSC08508.JPG
On the left the first try, on the right the final version.

DSC08509.JPG
The extinguisher in its final collocation.

The next task is to complete commander's and pilot's seats. As some of you maybe remember, I already built one seat calling it "final version" but, as you know, nothing is final till the real end of a work, so I studied well my prototype (as I decided to rename it) and, with a little help from my friends (thanks @Nando !) I enhanced the original model in many parts.

DSC08512.JPG
Firs of all I added some raised details in the rear section.

DSC08513.JPG
The rear panels completed

DSC08562.JPG
Here you see I added all velcro patches and a box in the upper rear section of the backrest.
Then I corrected the lateral bars that was too short and forced backrest in a wrong forward-shifted position.

DSC08564.JPG
I decided to cut away all elements (bars and metal plaques) to enhance 3D looking.

DSC08563.JPG
The photo is pretty ugly but I can assure you it looks fine.

DSC08565.JPG
Some belt curving...

DSC08575.JPG
And some ultra-micro detailing with buckles and locking devices

(to be continued)

Last edited:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Those seats are kits iin themselves!! This is top notch desgn and build Tonino. You are at the top of the game!! ;)

Tonino

Too kind... really I feel I'd be not even worthy to clean UHU02's shoes... :bowdown:

...at least as for designing skills...

while as for building... well perhaps I'm some step closer (but not too many) to the Master... ;)

Tonino

These day I feel inspired... Maybe it's the bad weather.

Another little step ahead: RHC boxes, necessary complement to front seats.

DSC08580.JPG

20 tiny parts to add a small box in front of the seats.

DSC08567.JPG
Some parts are triple-layered to reach the necessary thickness.

DSC08583.JPG
This is a little box that will be attached to the lower side. I didn't include it in my first prototype because I hadn't a good photo depicting this component. I assumed it is identical to the one placed in aft deck that is better seen in photos.

DSC08584.JPG
Another small step towards completion.

DSC08585.JPG DSC08586.JPG
Now I've to deal with joysticks... see you next episode :)

Last edited:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
You are in your own right, a Master Builder. You also designed this cockpit from pics and schematics, that makes you a Master Designer as well. This thread proves it. Comparion's aren't necessary or even worthy. It's like comparing Leonardo DaVince to Michealangelo. Both are great. :)

Tonino

I'm very proud to announce I've just released a critical detail that was really worrying me: the joystick! Now I'm very satisfied with the result of this long trial and error process.
But let's go in order...
Perhaps some of you remember my first joystick experiment (this post) the handle was too "square" and slim to be convincing... I didn't like it very much.
Now I started with another idea: to use the same amount of "slices" as in last try but giving a more "fatty" look curving the handle from inside. I'll explain myself better:

First of all I selected only a subset of my original series of slices adding two reduced slices at the extremities.
DSC08618.JPG

Then I cut and pasted all the shapes with white glue to form a "sandwich" that is still pretty square.

DSC08600.JPG DSC08601.JPG

When the glue has set I inserted a thin needle in the handle from below (ouch!)

DSC08588.JPG DSC08589.JPG

This gave a rounded shape to the handle

DSC08608.JPG

Then I covered all with a generous amount of CA glue.

DSC08590.JPG DSC08591.JPG

This operation uniformed the shapes, smoothened the edges, fixed the roundness and hardened the paper making the handle hard as plastic

DSC08612.JPG

(to be continued...)

Last edited:

Tonino

... then I painted it with a first layer of matt black to better appreciate the surfaces and started sanding all the paper edges still visible with very fine sandpaper.

DSC08598.JPG DSC08599.JPG

Then I added the base, a little brass nail head to represent the 4 direction selector and a 0,5 mm plastic rod as the upper button.

DSC08613.JPG

Another coat of black paint, some touch with gloss red and we have a nearly perfect Shuttle joystick!!!

DSC08614.JPG DSC08615.JPG
DSC08616.JPG DSC08617.JPG

Believe me or not: this is the detail I'm most proud of... so far!!! :D

Last edited: