Man, those windows are GREAT!!

Reactions: Tonino

Tonino

Apr 15, 2004
Republic of San Marino
www.facebook.com
Time to assemble cockpit front half.

DSC08448.JPG
First side consoles are joined to dashboard.

Then I realized a big mistake in my part scomposition. I decided to paste hud boxes to dashboard leaving two square windows for their passage. This caused the upper side to curve upward slightly for the traction exercited by side walls.

DSC08449.JPG
I tried to correct this problem cutting a piece of thick cardboard (1 mm.)
DSC08450.JPG

...and pasting it inside.

DSC08451.JPG

The piece corrected pretty well my mistake and - additionally - added two tabs to keep hud boxes in place.

DSC08452.JPG

Then I joined together dashboard and front walls.

DSC08454.JPG

And, to complete the section, I added front panels and HUD knobs.

DSC08456.JPG

This is the central element where panel F1 is placed.

DSC08457.JPG

And here F1 in place.

DSC08459.JPG

Here is a nice astronaut's point of view.

Last edited:

Tonino

Apr 15, 2004
Republic of San Marino
www.facebook.com
The next detail is in great part a creation of my imagination because I don't know really what is the real look and structure of the curtains that are provided to cover front windows.
I see in various images that are present blue curtains that are sometimes closed...

tenda.int.chiusa.jpg

...and, most of the mission time, fully opened but still visible in lower window section, from inside...

tenda.int.jpg

...and, even better, from outside:

tenda.out.jpg

Also central windows has little curtains

centrale.jpg

I tried to reproduce their aspect printing separate pieces. On cardboard I realized what I supposed to be the curtain holder (in photos it seems to be something like leather or plastic). On thin paper I realized the blue fabric forming the curtain itself.
DSC08460.JPG

Crumpling the paper it could seem something similar to a wrinkled curtain.

DSC08462.JPG

And then I pasted them to front windows internal side.

DSC08463.JPG
This is the aspect from inside...

DSC08469.JPG
...and from outside.

I'm pretty satisfied by the result. In those photo the curtains show clearly their paper nature but, I assure you, seen with bare eyes the illusion is much better than it seems here.

Last edited:

Tonino

Apr 15, 2004
Republic of San Marino
www.facebook.com
Thanks my friends. You're very nice as always.

I'm not really sure of my feelings about curtains. I like them but....

Two thoughts:

1) perhaps they are a little too "intrusive..."?
2) I'm not sure this is the real look they have when not in use... in the photo they are always covered by dashboard border...

I would like to hear your opinion about this.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
You're so intuitive. I don't think a better representation could be done. It would be nitpicking to say anything negative, short of someone who has actually been working in that atmosphere. What you have done has surpassed anything I could have expected from anyone. You have the bar far below you as you are now orbiting in the high atmosphere of conceptualization modeling into reality of scale.

Last edited:

Tonino

Apr 15, 2004
Republic of San Marino
www.facebook.com
Time to complete this dashboard, the most difficult detail awaits me...HUDs! :nailbiting:
But first of all let's play with a simpler task: drag chute commands...

DSC08474.JPG
It's always surprising how such a little detail like those raised button covers can add a lot of charme to the whole assembly.

DSC08473.JPG
But time for play is over, now we have to do the hard one...
On the rear you see the new black cover I realized to correct the oversized traces I have drawn before.

DSC08470.JPG
The first try was a total disaster. I added glue on the edge of transparent pieces but the glue spreaded all over the glass.

DSC08475.JPG DSC08476.JPG DSC08477.JPG
The second one went much better. This time I added a little drop of water to white glue to make it thinner and used a microbrush (seen in the first photo) to place a line of glue on the black piece exactly where the glass had to go.
Now the glue is almost invisible and the assembly look pretty stable (but I won't test too much this feature ;) )

DSC08481b.JPG
The HUD in place is very good! I like it. Let's hope it will stay together... I'm afraid this is the most fragile spot in all the model.

DSC08482.JPG DSC08483.JPG DSC08484.JPG
Now with ALL the instrumentations and commands in place the upper front section of the cockpit is really complete (actually ... no ... something will lay down from the ceiling... but this will happen later).

That's all for now!

Hi friends! :)

Last edited:

Tonino

Apr 15, 2004
Republic of San Marino
www.facebook.com
Back to work. Now I'm going to add some details to the cabin waiting for the inspiration to start with the last BIG batch of instrument panels: the ceiling.

First of all the aft translational joystick.

DSC08489.JPG

Here are the pieces...

DSC08490.JPG

...and here is it finished.

DSC08492.JPG
...and placed in its own spot.

Then I wanted to add that black bar I saw in every photo of the front section. I'm not sure about its use but, as it's clearly visible in all the photos, I cannot ignore it.

DSC08493.JPG

The bar with its hinges .

DSC08495.JPG

Hinges are another vey tiny piece to cut and fold!

DSC08498.JPG

And here is the bar in place.

Now let's go on with the pedals, another important piece with its own "personality" to recreate.

The first prototype didn't satisfy me at all. Too tall and flat in the front side.

DSC08506b.JPG
I needed to add some greebling.

DSC08501.JPG

Here are the parts for my second try. They are 17 (26 counting microtabs...) the prototype was made only by 6 pieces.

DSC08504.JPG DSC08505.JPG

Very very better... I like this one much more than the first one. :)

Last edited: