1/16 Heath "Super Parasol"

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by nx13688, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Ed Heath´s Company Today

Ryan,

Just for kicks, I Googled "Heath + electronics" and sure enough, at the top of the page with results: Heathkit Educational Systems.
    It seems they provide educational courses for students, for example on PC and telecom systems.
    This is the link to th present company:
    http://www.heathkit.com

Bengt:grin:
  2. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Plans For Large RC Heath "Parasol" With 80" Wing Span

Hi Ryan,

This gentleman and RC model aeroplane designer, Fred Novack of Howell, Michigan, has plans for a huge aiplane model of the Heath "Parasol" - third from the bottom on this page:

http://www.vintagercplans.com/order.htm

I found it while looking for bigger things. Just thought I´d mention it . . .

Best regards,
    Bengt:wink:
  3. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Heath Super Parasol

Hi Ryan,

I´m just curious - has there been any developments of the Super Parasol during the summer?

Best,
    Bengt :smile:
  4. nx13688

nx13688 Member

No, and I'm disappointed with myself for that. I have a half-finished model and marked-up sheets for corrections to make on the finished version. I did start to assemble the fuselage skin, but didn't get too far. My wife works evenings due to being in school, so I get to be a full-time dad/cook/homemaker from 5:30PM until around 10, and weekends are busy, so modeling time is harder to come by these days. Then I have some comissioned designs to do and others I owe as favors. So, the Parasol sits. :cry:
  5. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Super Parasol

No sweat, Ryan,

I know what you´re talking about - I´ve got two kids myself and my wife works weekends as a nurse.
    You´ve got your priorities right.
    Your Super Parasol model will be worth the wait.

Best regards,
    Bengt:roll:
  6. Firstscout

Firstscout New Member

Any progress on the camper?

Thought it is a very interesting project
  7. Firstscout

Firstscout New Member

Any progress on the camper?

Thought it is a very interesting project
  8. nx13688

nx13688 Member

Wow, hadn't realized I haven't worked on the Heath since July! Not much model building done since then; I had to sort of disassemble my workbench due to building a basement office - part of establishing a new home business, which doesn't help either. So, it's still on my to-do list.:oops:
  9. nx13688

nx13688 Member

Wow, hadn't realized I haven't worked on the Heath since July! Not much model building done since then; I had to sort of disassemble my workbench due to building a basement office - part of establishing a new home business, which doesn't help either. So, it's still on my to-do list.:oops:
  10. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Heath "Super Parasol"

Hi Ryan,

I haven´t forgotten about it, either, and I really like your model design. I´m still hoping that you will get time off somehow to complete this little gem in the future.
    In addition, the story about Ed Heath and his various motorcycle-driven plane kits during the 'home-building era' of flight really entrigues me.
    In his youth, my father had a friend who built himself a Henri Mignon "Flying Flea" plane in a barn. The "Flying Fleas" were, however, banned by law in Sweden and elsewhere in Europe due to the many crashes with fatalities.

Keep up the good work!
    Bengt :D
  11. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Heath "Super Parasol"

Hi Ryan,

I haven´t forgotten about it, either, and I really like your model design. I´m still hoping that you will get time off somehow to complete this little gem in the future.
    In addition, the story about Ed Heath and his various motorcycle-driven plane kits during the 'home-building era' of flight really entrigues me.
    In his youth, my father had a friend who built himself a Henri Mignon "Flying Flea" plane in a barn. The "Flying Fleas" were, however, banned by law in Sweden and elsewhere in Europe due to the many crashes with fatalities.

Keep up the good work!
  12. nx13688

nx13688 Member

Bengt -
    Do you have the EAA's reprints of the 1929-33 Flying & Glider Manuals? If you like lightplanes from that era, they are a real treasure trove of designs and are a steal at $30US for the set. There is also a sixth book in the series ("1929-33 Miscellany")that was not printed with the current edition but can be found on eBay. That one was very interesting to me as it contained plans for the Corben Baby Ace, which was built commercially in Madison, very near where I live. It also had near-complete plans to build a 40 HP lightplane engine, the "Packmag Cross-Country Twin," which I have modeled in Solidworks. Pardon the incomplete website, it's still under construction.
  13. nx13688

nx13688 Member

Bengt -
    Do you have the EAA's reprints of the 1929-33 Flying & Glider Manuals? If you like lightplanes from that era, they are a real treasure trove of designs and are a steal at $30US for the set. There is also a sixth book in the series ("1929-33 Miscellany")that was not printed with the current edition but can be found on eBay. That one was very interesting to me as it contained plans for the Corben Baby Ace, which was built commercially in Madison, very near where I live. It also had near-complete plans to build a 40 HP lightplane engine, the "Packmag Cross-Country Twin," which I have modeled in Solidworks. Pardon the incomplete website, it's still under construction.
  14. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Eaa

Hi Ryan,

Yes, I do have all of the EAA reprints - I just cannot find them at the moment (they are in a box somewhere). I remember seeing a lot of interesting articles on the Heath and Pietenpohl airplanes.

Thanks for the link to the Packmag twin engine - that is really beautiful art work.
    Very close to where I live, just north of Stockholm, there is a small airfield which used to belong to the Swedish Air Force. A club houses quite a lot of nice little ultra light planes here, among them some Eurocubs. I sure would like to get myself a UL licence someday, to be able to rent a plane from those guys. They badly need flying hours on their machines, so I think it wouldn´t be to difficult, provided that you are a competent pilot, of course.

Further north in Sweden, in the Dalecarlia region by the Lake Siljan, there is a very active club where they teach youngsters to build functioning 3/4 scale replicas of WW I machines (UL class!), like the Fokker Dr. I and Sopwith Camel. They plan to make a great aerodrome out of it, and have dogfights and shows for audiences in the summer. I think I´ll go up there for their next EAA Fly-in, at the end of the summer.

There is a lot of fun around aeroplanes - both small and big!
  15. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Eaa

Hi Ryan,

Yes, I do have all of the EAA reprints - I just cannot find them at the moment (they are in a box somewhere). I remember seeing a lot of interesting articles on the Heath and Pietenpohl airplanes.

Thanks for the link to the Packmag twin engine - that is really beautiful art work.
    Very close to where I live, just north of Stockholm, there is a small airfield which used to belong to the Swedish Air Force. A club houses quite a lot of nice little ultra light planes here, among them some Eurocubs. I sure would like to get myself a UL licence someday, to be able to rent a plane from those guys. They badly need flying hours on their machines, so I think it wouldn´t be to difficult, provided that you are a competent pilot, of course.

Further north in Sweden, in the Dalecarlia region by the Lake Siljan, there is a very active club where they teach youngsters to build functioning 3/4 scale replicas of WW I machines (UL class!), like the Fokker Dr. I and Sopwith Camel. They plan to make a great aerodrome out of it, and have dogfights and shows for audiences in the summer. I think I´ll go up there for their next EAA Fly-in, at the end of the summer.

There is a lot of fun around aeroplanes - both small and big!