1/144 Ojimak US Navy F-8E Crusader

cafe

Jan 30, 2010
France
I build smaller than you (1:200) and what what I use to get the round shapes is a wooden stick, actually a brochette stick, sometimes a toothpick. If the part is small, I'll usually form it on the brochette stick/toothpick before it'scompletely cut out.

shika

Jul 29, 2012
Rayong, Thailand
Bonjour Cafe,
Comment alles vous?

May I ask for the link of your 1/200 F-8E template?
I have some of the templates from Paper modeller website but I never see F-8E.

Merci,

Shika ^ ^

Z

Zathros

This is, to be honest, a weakness and the big reason I do not build models by Ojimak. I personally feel they are a waste of time. I would rather build one good model than 15 mediocre shaped ones, especially when is models rely so much on the persons knowledge of the model shape. I feel one aspect of modeling is to teach the shape of the aircraft, this is not possible with Ojimak's models, or difficult to say the least. I can look at a model and tell that is exactly what it is, an Ojimak model. Many of the planes (not a fault of Ojikmak) look the same, the same but different nice panel lines and graphics. You can tell the model variation, year produced, etc. To me, many of Ojimak's plane just look like generic models, which are fine if you're just stating out, but can also lead you into a a rut, I don't touch these models anymore. For my effort I want something that looks really as close as possible to the object I am modeling. If that means a model every 6 months as opposed to every six days, then so be it.

This is my personal opinion and two cents worth, that's all. I would Start building Stahlhahrt models. (http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172740&highlight=stahlhart ) They will give you much more satisfaction. IMHO :)

freddyman

Feb 13, 2012
nc hamlet
well ojimaks models are not really for looks. there really for bigginers to learn basic ways to cut,fold,and glue paper together to make aircrafts shape. great jod with your cad work. lots of different curves and diffinatly look accurate with formers to keep shape.stalhart models are very realistic and great models to learn to do biuld with formers.

Z

Zathros

I think Shika has shown with his models he is ready for the next level. He will have all of our help if, gladly, he so chooses. :)

shika

Jul 29, 2012
Rayong, Thailand
Well, thank you very much again Zathros and Freddyman. :thumb:

Now, I'm at the crossroad eh? :)

The main reason I build these paper models is for collecting and study combat aviation history along the build.

I started with Pre-painted plastic model. I only assembled, glued and placed decals. And since many of the planes I like are not available in the market or very expensive. So, Paper model is a good choice to fulfill my dream.

I still have many 1/144, mostly Ojimak and many other designers template and I'd like to build. I also have about 12 1/144 plastic models and three 1/72 plastic models in the boxes. In fact, many people in Thai MSOT told me I should play larger scale and get the plane more realistic such as adding putty, etc. (Another crossroad :p)

Honestly I don't think I can build scale 1/144 paper models to be so realistic. For Stahlhart's draken I have to omit some detail parts since it almost impossible to hold. I can't even hold it how can I fold and make a shape.

Well, but after I am satisfy with my 1/144 paper plane fleet, then I am pretty sure I'd like to go to another level with my master "Zathros and Freddyman" :)
Probably next year or a little later than that. Of course at the scale larger than 1/144. Probably 1/72 or 1/48. 1/33 is too big, IMHO.

Best regards,

Shika :mrgreen:

P.S. I just started collecting 1/144 scale planes in November 2011.

cafe

Jan 30, 2010
France
Bonjour, je vais bien.

I think you mean the A-7 Corsair II (design thread, PDF download).

I don't have an F-8 template. I want to do one but I have to decide which plans I'm going to use. The Squadron/Signal plans or those russian plans I found at airwar.ru? The Crusader project is stalled for now with 2 different files using 2 different sets of plans. I've built Ojimak's F-8J and TF-8A in 1/200 though.

Z

Zathros

I thought I'd post this here as this thread seems to be winding down. I may make this. I haven't decided. Everything unfolds. :)

Attachments

• crus4.jpg
    crus4.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 13

freddyman

Feb 13, 2012
nc hamlet
zathros,brovo.from my point of veiw though,the fusalage has way too big of hump on its fusalage. its like half a-7 and half 747.ha. still nice job.

shika

Jul 29, 2012
Rayong, Thailand
Hi Zathros

It'd be great if you do the paper model of this F-8E.
In my opinion, I think Ojimak does o.k. on most of the jet planes he design.
Of course they might lack of accuracy but it does give good look for the
main idea of each plane.

And apart from USA's F-8E. There's one specific F-8E I'd like to make.

If I can get the white version of template I think I can either use paint or even cut the paper and paste the version I want.

It's the Animation/Manga "Area 88" By Shiori Fujitani. A pretty old one.
The main character Shin Kazama flown his F-8E Crusader. The tail fin has his emblem, the flaming unicorn, his typical colot dark blue and white, 00 section and the shark teeth air intake as shown below. ^ ^

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 32
  • area88_1_04.jpg
    area88_1_04.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 7
  • Shin F-8E.jpg
    Shin F-8E.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 32
Z

Zathros

Shark's teeth do really look good on this plane. I'll keep poking along at it and see what it evolves into. :)