1/144 Ojimak US Navy F-8E Crusader

shika

Another nice plane by Ojimak.
He is really a great guy design all these templates of the plane.

Attachments

• P1080783_resize.JPG
    P1080783_resize.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 17
  • P1080785_resize.JPG
    P1080785_resize.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 12
  • P1080788_resize.JPG
    P1080788_resize.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 14
  • P1080789_resize.JPG
    P1080789_resize.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 16
Z

Zathros

Good start. Try using a pencil, with only a round surface, to form the fuselage. It will help for the panels. Also, look up the real aircraft, so you know how it should look. ;)

freddyman

i agree with zathros.knowing how you biuld, i will say you wasn't really trying on craftsmenship.try looking at a pictrue of the plane to get an accurate veiw

shika

Thanks guys for the comments.

I followed the built instruction.

Now, I compare with my 1/144 Plastic Model
F-8E Crusader CafeReo J-wings, "Vietnam War".

I think I need further detail explanation to get my paper plane in better shape.

Attachments

• P1080841_resize.JPG
    P1080841_resize.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 8
  • P1080842_resize.JPG
    P1080842_resize.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 10
  • P1080843_resize.JPG
    P1080843_resize.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 12
  • P1080844_resize.JPG
    P1080844_resize.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 12

shika

I guess it is the canopy, it should have more curve.
Another point is Air Intake.

I've found it hard to modify since I use the parts from the
print.

Any suggestions are welcome. ^ ^

Z

Zathros

I suggest you start to move to planes that have formers (frames). The problems with these aircraft is there is no inside structure to define the shape. It is why I pointed you to some of the other models. These models have frames, and the result is a far more accurate model.Use a pencil and round the parts so they form a circle. The fuselage of that aircraft is almost a straight tube. Once you do this, use a smaller tube to former the other parts. it will fall together and you will have better results. :)

Z

Zathros

We are here to help. Post more step by step pictures, and we can help you each step of the way. O.K? I would really enjoy that. :)

freddyman

the main poblems that i see are the canopy and the air intake.everything else looks good.try to round out those aeas with a paint brush or pencil. freddy

Z

Zathros

the main poblems that i see are the canopy and the air intake.everything else looks good.try to round out those aeas with a paint brush or pencil. freddy

It is good when starting out to post every stage of the build with dry fits, then, instruction can be given how to optimize the the help that can be offered, if needed. Better to offer help before glued than after. :)

freddyman

completly agreed zathros.reveiwing threads like this can be very useful giud lines for other biulders who like this hobby.also i want to say that i am trying to get pictures of my homemade tornado. i need to find a good camra though.

freddyman

I suggest you start to move to planes that have formers (frames). The problems with these aircraft is there is no inside structure to define the shape. It is why I pointed you to some of the other models. These models have frames, and the result is a far more accurate model.Use a pencil and round the parts so they form a circle. The fuselage of that aircraft is almost a straight tube. Once you do this, use a smaller tube to former the other parts. it will fall together and you will have better results. :)

actualy you can make very accurate shapes when you make arodinamic curves and shape the fusalages well.this can make them look just as acurate as with formers, it is also better to use them for flight since there lighter

Z

Zathros

Formers need not be made solid. I think that we are discussing models more than gliders. If a glider is made with the correct shape, it will fly further. Also, formers add strength to gliders and allow for repeated flight and easier repair.

Let's let Shika respond now. This is his thread, and I would not like him to feel his is being "trounced" upon, though I know that is not the intention of anyone here. ;)

shika

Thanks Zathros and Freddyman.

Well, it's pretty hard to take the step by step pictures when my hands are so sticky with glue. Anyway, I'll try with my Nieuport.

O.k. let's get back to our F-8E Crusader, I inserted a round-shape chopstick
at the end of F-8E and then try to make a round fuselage.
Then I use a small toothpick to reshape the air intake.
This is the result.

Attachments

• P1080853_resize.JPG
    P1080853_resize.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 10
  • P1080855_resize.JPG
    P1080855_resize.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 12
  • P1080856_resize.JPG
    P1080856_resize.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 10
  • P1080857_resize.JPG
    P1080857_resize.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 12
  • P1080858_resize.JPG
    P1080858_resize.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 16

freddyman

Formers need not be made solid. I think that we are discussing models more than gliders. If a glider is made with the correct shape, it will fly further. Also, formers add strength to gliders and allow for repeated flight and easier repair.

Let's let Shika respond now. This is his thread, and I would not like him to feel his is being "trounced" upon, though I know that is not the intention of anyone here. ;)

sorry for the interuption shika and zathos. won't happen again. enyway great improvment on the plane. i see that using chipsticks came vey usful.yes i think formers can be very usful in a glider but in my opinion, you can make eny pape glider look realistic with knowlage of its arodinamic. curves. enyway lets get on with te biuld

shika

Well, thanks again Zathros and freddyman.
It's o.k. guys.
It always good to get some comments for improvement. ^ ^

Z

Zathros

I started designing one of these out on Rhino tonight, to see if I could make one simple enough to build with formers, as an instructional model. We'll see. :)

arkon

formers help models alot to keep shape, but you can still get a nice roll or curverd shape with the edge of a desk or other round shapes to form it on.it also helps to use at least a 110 lb paper . what are you using shika ?

Z

Zathros

Shika, I did some CAD work to show you how a plane can look radically different from different angles. I may produce this model, I don't know yet. The pictures are self explanatory. This model would around 5 formers, not including what would be in the wings. This was about an hrs. worth of work. I was watching TV while I was doing it to be honest! This are pictures of the same fuselage.

You cannot make models of this caliber without formers. I would encourage you to slow down, and start going for quality now. You won't regret it! :):)

Attachments

• crus1.jpg
    crus1.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Crus 2.jpg
    Crus 2.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 17
  • crus 3.jpg
    crus 3.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 15