1/1200 Titanic Build

Cap'n Davo

the new guy
Dec 10, 2009
Chandler, Arizona, USA
The first paper model site I ever visited was Ralph Currell's and his 1/1200 Titanic model quickly became a "must build".... the only problem is that I'm a standard-sized person with standard-sized fingers and the parts on his model look they were meant for work under a microscope. :mrgreen: So I started resizing the model to something more like 1/300 scale but I kept thinking to myself, "If the model was designed in 1/1200 then it must somehow be possible to build it in that scale." I decided to boldly go where my model-building skills have never gone before.

I abandoned the 1/300 model (to my wife's great pleasure) and resolved to build it 1/1200 scale as the designer intended.

I've completed all of the steps (except putting on the stern, which is causing me some challenges) up to the point where it is time to add the funnels, cranes, deck hatches, impossibly small life boats, and masts. I figured it was a good time to throw out some pictures of the build-up before I mess anything up too badly. :rolleyes: I'll add more as I complete it.

Cap'n Davo (alias, "big stubby fingered guy")

Attachments

• Titanic_02.jpg
    Titanic_02.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Titanic_05.jpg
    Titanic_05.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Titanic_07.jpg
    Titanic_07.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Titanic_09.jpg
    Titanic_09.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Titanic_11.jpg
    Titanic_11.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 40
  • Titanic_15.jpg
    Titanic_15.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 51

bulldogowner

Destroyer of Spam
Oct 12, 2006
West Michigan
Looking VERY nice so far!! Keep up the good work...and remember to use some SMALL tweezers...sometimes the wife may have just what you need!!

peter taft

Jan 15, 2010
She is looking gorgeous - very clean and sharp build, will keep watching this for sure :thumb:. You might like to see my video to the build i did of the same model - upscaled and a few extra parts added... the link is below, enjoy :thumb:

LeeAnne

Apr 13, 2010
New England, USA
www.rlbeward.net
I did the Revell styrene Titanic in 1/1200, and this looks every bit as good! Yes, the Olympic would be a cinch to build, and the Britannic is within reach! Now, we need a fleet of early 20th century liners!

YGMeci0411

Titanart5852
Apr 4, 2009
PA.
Ralph Curell Titanic

I have that same model downloaded, but as yet have not built it. Your results are encouraging! Looks as though you will have an excellent conversation piece! Very precise build and I love that Mr. Currell added a base with a wake on it... makes it appear that the Titanic is cruising in her glory on the open sea! Great Job!!! :thumb: