1/10th Bleriot in Progress

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by bclemens, Aug 1, 2008.

1. bclemens

bclemens Member

OK, folks, this will be a real commitment. Sort of like a marriage, but without the ***. (Is bickering spelled with three letters?)

July 25th, 2009 will mark the 100th anniversary of the first crossing of the English Channel by aircraft. To pay tribute to that historic event, I want to build a replica of Louis Bleriot's aircraft, the Bleriot XI.

While the Wrights struggled to sell their airplanes in Europe in those early years, the Bleriot XI was the Cessna 150 of its age. Bleriot sold many copies of his channel-crosser in many variations in the first and second decade of the 20th century. The version I want to model is the one that carried him to fame.

I will begin with the engine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course I will use card and paper as much as possible. There will be no Pl***ic. But I will use metal in places where I think it'll give the model a more "polished" appearance ;)

Plenty more to come!
    Cheers,
    Bruce
  2. col. kurtz

col. kurtz Member

this is looking excellent already please make this scale model available to us as a freebis kit or pay for kit pleeeeeeeeese :mrgreen::thumb:
  3. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

How did you execute the embossed Anzani logo on the crankcase? That is too sweet!
  4. KCStephens

KCStephens Member

Nice cylinders :thumb:, they look like spent shell cases! If so, what caliber are they? .22, .38 or 9mm?
  5. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Nice start :) The crank case looks ike it's laser cut ?

I'll be watching this one with interest
  6. bclemens

bclemens Member

Major Davenport and Mark_1984, indeed the parts are laser cut and I am able to engrave the name into the card stock. I am fortunate enough to have a laser cutter / engraver at my disposal.
    Heavykevie, the cylinders are hobby shop brass tubing of .47 caliber ;)
    Colonel, this will be a kit, complete and laser-cut, available through my web site...I just don't know all the particulars yet ;)
    On to the cylinder heads!
    Cheers,
    Bruce
  7. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Well. this looks like one for which I will start saving my pennies! Since you are posting on the card model site, I presume it will be primarily a card model. Do you plan on selling it as a download or a production kit?

Also, do you have an general idea of the price point?
  8. bclemens

bclemens Member

Anzani Progress

Hi, all,
    Here is some progress on the motor tonight.

[​IMG]

I've hit the entire model with a light coat of gray primer.

[​IMG]

I've also gone back and removed the brass cylinders. As they were going to be covered with paper anyway I felt it was a poor use of brass. This version has entirely paper cylinders and I think it works to good effect.
    Next comes the cylinder heads, valve linkages, and exhaust ports. So the backside of the cylinders will be modified in the process. But for now, here we are.
    [​IMG]

So, Major Davenport, to answer your questions, yes, the entire model is card with the exception of the prop shaft, the bolt ends, the propeller hub bolt shafts, and some of the exhaust components yet to be designed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I plan to sell this as a complete laser cut kit through my web site. Since so much of this model would, if hand cut, require very precise and tedious repetitive work, I wouldn't wish a download version of this model on my worst enemy ;) But if someone wanted to give it a try, PM me and I'll be glad to send the plans.

As far as price-point, I expect to make several separate kits from this project, so one could order the engine first, then get say, the fuselage and cockpit to add to it, and then the wings and tail plane, and so forth. Each kit will run in the $30 - $50 range. I believe one could have a complete high quality 1/10th replica of Louis Bleriot's channel craft for under $200.

That's the vision, anyway.
    Cheers!
    Bruce
  9. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Well, I am certainly down with that sales concept. Will you begin selling kits when the engine is complete? If so, let us know at the Forum because I would really enjoy building a kit as it was being designed...sort of like getting in on the ground floor!
  10. Billy Leliveld

Billy Leliveld Member

Very nice Bruce, I always loved this plane, and even tempted to buy this one, ( twice as expensive :eek:) Your version is a bargain compaired to this one...
    Are you gonna make a "naked" version?

Attached Files:

11. col. kurtz

col. kurtz Member

look forward to this being for sale ill be one of the first buyers :)
  12. bclemens

bclemens Member

Thanks for the link to the Amati kit, Billy- That has me even more energized!
    Here's a page with very good closeups of the completed model.
    It's very impressive, but on close inspection I see many things I will do differently to hopefully make it more realistic. Already I think the engine I am producing is far better than the one on the Amati model.

Of course being in card, it will be up to the builder's skill in finishing to give the framework a wood-like appearance. And building the model unskinned will certainly be possible- I will be looking at covering options such as drafting vellum...we'll see.

I will finish and release the engine soon- the kit will come with a mount for desktop display and a laminated prop. Then when the fuselage kit is ready all one will have to do is mount the previously built engine to it...and so on ;)

Cheers!
    Bruce
  13. Billy Leliveld

Billy Leliveld Member

Your engine is already looking better..:mrgreen:
    "I've seen the future of papermodeling;, and it's called Bruce Clemens"sign1
    But serious, you are adding a whole new level to our hobby :thumb:

cheers, Billy
  14. bclemens

bclemens Member

Bleriot Engine progress

Hello, friends,
    Well, I'm back to work...no, I mean the "real" job. As a teacher my summer layoff period is over so I can't do the paper as much as I'd like to from here on out, but I managed to make some progress on the engine the last couple days.

[​IMG]

Now the cylinder heads are in place. I continue to work on the exhaust, spark plugs and valves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers!
    Bruce
  15. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

1:10 Scale Blériot XI 1909 Monoplane Replica

Hey Bruce,

This is indeed a most ambitious and very interesting project! I look forward to following every step of your building process.
    The scale chosen is very impressive.

I happen to love the aeroplanes from this pioneer period, from about 1900 to the 'Great' War, with the 1909 Léon Levavasseur-Gastambide 'Antoinette' type VII being my absolute favorite (have you seen the movie "Those Magnificent Men" . . ?) That´s because aviator Hubert Latham ALMOST made it across the English channel but most of all because it is, IMHO, the most graceful of all aeroplanes:

[​IMG]

Next in the line, however, is of course the compact and light Blériot XI. We have one of the two existing original 1910 Thulin type 'A' planes that were built in Sweden (the Swedish license-built Blériot XI) right here in Stockholm - I actually went to see it again just a couple of weeks ago, to take a few snap-shots. It is nick-named ' The Brewery Cart', by the way:

[​IMG]

The other original one belongs to our most notable and ambitious aviator and builder, Mikael Carlson, in Löbberöd, Skåne, in the south of Sweden. He owns not one but TWO Thuilin A-Blériot XIs, sporting Thulin original engines, as well as, for example, replicas of the Swedish biplane trainer Ö1 'Tummelisa' from 1919, a Piper J-3 'Cub' in Swedish military colors, an amazingly true Fokker D.VII, and, to top it all, he is currently finishing a Fokker Dr.I triplane project, all of them (except perhaps the Dr.I) in 'Experimental'-registered, fully flyable condition, with restored original engines! After a flight with one of the Thulin-Blériots, he has to wipe his face and googles clear of castor oil, which is the lubricant that is mixed in the engine fuel. Here he is flying in his first (original) 1910 Thulin A-Blériot XI, in which he made a daring 90 year anniversary flight of the English channel in 1999:

[​IMG]

He is also considered a master in taking off and landing with the full-throttle rotary engines (a massive rotating mass!), which takes some time to learn. Here is a link to his countryside aerodrome, where he has a grassy runway: http://www.mattiasjonsson.com/aerodrome/

The very best of luck with your Blériot XI project for 2009! Your Anzani engine in card is a beaty, a masterpiece in itself. I can´t wait to see the rest . . .
    All the best from Stockholm,
    Bengt F :thumb:

PS. Referring to the beatiful 1:10th scale wooden AMATI Blériot XI model, here is a link to another very fine (and flyable) 1:5th scale R/C model of the Blériot XI 'channel-crosser', constructed by the late (he passed away in 2005) world-class scale model flyer and designer Göran Kalderén, of Kalderén & Welch Model Airplanes, Inc. in the Philippines: http://www.kwmairpl.com.ph/KWPlanesDatasheets.asp?DatasheetCodeQ=RC-04FR This ARTF 'stand-off' model invites to some very minute super-detailing, of for example the cockpit area.
    (I have the 1:5 scale Morane-Saulnier type 'L' parasol monoplane model, by the way, which is found at the bottom of the page, as well as a Thulin 'K' - Sweden´s first agile and fast fighter monoplane, known as "Jagaren" - "The Hunter", from 1917).

PS PS. How is the medieval roof tiling pattern for my Burghausen castle advancing?
  16. bclemens

bclemens Member

Hello, Bengt!
    Thank you for your post- the links and photos are wonderful. This project will truly be a major undertaking. It will be a challenge to create something that can live up to the amazing work that others have already done in modeling this lovely airplane. And it will be especially a challenge to make a satisfying kit that others can build with reasonable ease.

I feel fairly comfortable that the engine will be a kit that will give a good outcome with the application of a reasonable amount of modeling skill and experience. There are still issues to be worked out on the design, but I am pleased with the progress.

I have not forgotten your roof tiles :wave: I shall have something to show you shortly ;)

Cheers!
    Bruce
  17. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Subscribed, can't wait to see this finished. If I ever get to a point to be able to buy models again, this one will definitely find it's way onto the want list ;)
  18. DHL

DHL Member

this is big scale 1/10!:eek:
  19. bclemens

bclemens Member

A little Anzani Progress

Well, as typical, work has gotten in the way of modeling ;)
    But I managed to make a little progress on the engine this evening:

[​IMG]

Here are valve push rod springs and exhaust flanges.

[​IMG]

I can see the end of the engine is near- only to begin on the instructions...

Cheers!
    Bruce
  20. bclemens

bclemens Member

A setback...but an opportunity

I stumbled across a very nice set of walkaround pics of this engine in a museum. Looking closely at the images brought out something that was subliminally nagging me about the model...my fins go too low on the cylinders.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note how the fins occupy the upper half of the length of the cylinder on the real engine, while mine occupy about the upper 3/5th.

I am going to correct that- this evening I will cut off the valve spring assemblies, snap off the cylinders, and rebuild them. The fin count is correct. I believe that if I simply split the spacers that are between the fins, the fins will be closer to a scale spacing- and more of the lower unfinned portion of the cylinders will be exposed.

Here goes! :curse: