1:1 Pulse Rifle build

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mousemuffins1, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Mousemuffins1

Mousemuffins1 Member

My next project: Jan Rukr's 1:1 Aliens pulse Rifle. This is quite an involved build, and is also quite large, with a finished build sise of about 70cm (28")

Jan's build looks something like this:

[​IMG]

and can be downloaded for free at http://aliens.humlak.cz/aliens/aliens_papirove_modely_gb.htm

One of the coolest Sci-fi guns ever, the model comes on 30 sheets with over 200 marked parts.

I will of course be using my usual technique of massive reinforcment with thick laminations of card and superglue, and also appying my own paint scheme.

Jan suggests on his web site that the model parts should be printed between 90 and 95% of size for correct dimensions, a quick E-mail to try and nail that down a bit , the designer says to print the pages at 260mm x 190.8mm, which I'll be trying.

...the Laminations have begun.

P.S. , I'll be building this in tandem with nothing's M1A1 Thompson, as I think they make an intresting pair , as the prop pulse rifle is based on a thompson...
  2. Mousemuffins1

Mousemuffins1 Member

I'm starting with the Shroud, because all other parts will attach to this.

I've laminated the side pieces to 1mm card, gluing them with white glue. I've also eliminated the seam in the middle by building this a single part, rather than two which is normally a limitation of the print size.

[​IMG]

Two of each section have been laminated, the second of each will be cut 1mm smaller allround and glued inside the first. This leaves a ledge for centre parts to adhere to, further reinforcing the join.

I'm considering going a third lamination for these parts, :eek: as they are large and will need their edges rounded off quite alot, and I don't want to sand through into thin air.
  3. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

4. Mousemuffins1

Mousemuffins1 Member

Nice build! what size did you print yours at?
  5. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Could you possibly wire up an LED display for yours? I figure if you're going to all the trouble you can at least have a cool readout display.
  6. Mousemuffins1

Mousemuffins1 Member

hmm. Maybe light up printed part by sticking an LED behind it, but I'm afraid I'm not going to go to the expense and complication of putting an actual counter in.

All this laminating has left me somewhat low on card, I'll have to stock up again tomorrow. I did end up going for the tripple layer, and after managing to make two left hand sides wall1wall1wall1 and recutting the parts for the right has left me a bit short.....
  7. zealousy

zealousy Member

Woah! Nice..I'm building this one these days...I know what you have in mind so I won't dare show mine up here! LOL Will be watching this one :)
  8. greenelf1967

greenelf1967 Member

this is my feeble version of the rifle think it was my second model I made about 2 years ago, have got slightly better since then

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
  9. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Actually those LED displays are fairly cheap and are pre-wired. All you'd have to do is find out what number you want displayed and wire all those LEDs in parallel, along with a resistor.
  10. Mousemuffins1

Mousemuffins1 Member

hmm. I'll look into it.

Anyhoo, The shroud is starting to take shape, and in my typical style, I've overengineered the bejebus out of it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This will be VERY strong once completed.
  11. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Fixing the limitation of the top rail is a good idea.

Putting an internal structure in this is a great idea as well. I cut strips of corrugated cardboard and filled the inside. The result was a stepped internal structure. I should have created a more robust skeleton for this build. I have the Starcraft Marine Rifle to build this holiday since I will be out of employment.
  12. ltla9000311

ltla9000311 Member

Pulse rifle....

Mouse, I look forward to watching your build on this. If you plan on making the grenade launcher pump move, watch the tolerances on the lower barrel assembly for the grenade launcher itself. Mine came out about 2mm too big.:curse: I ended up having to trim the pump grip to barely fit, then glued it in place.:curse: Then the magazine/clip was to tight. I removed the upper piece, then glued the bottom piece to the gun itself.:curse: These were my fault in the building and not the fault of Mr. Rukr. Here is a picture of mine:

Me &  my M41A.jpg

I ended up painting mine with Tamiya acrylic paint. I ran out of color ink. Keep up the good work! You are doing what I thought of doing after I was halfway through! I watch and wait......
  13. Tars

Tars Member

I still have my pulse rifle lying half-built in the basement ;) I made it out of sheet styrene, which has given pretty satisfying results, but it is also really time-consuming. As display I wanted to use an old two-digit display from my first computer :) It is green, but I think that doesn't matter too much. Apart from that, the trigger is moveable and the safety lever actually works! I am planning on more moving parts since the styrene is really, really good for that :) Unfortunately I haven't had time to work on that one in, say two years? :/
  14. Mousemuffins1

Mousemuffins1 Member

I scratchbuilt a styrene/resin/ metal version for a client about 15 years ago, it was very strong and very heavy (full weight, 4.9 kilos, about 12 pounds...)
    the pump moved and opened the ejection port and it lit up and everything. but that was a chore to build, I use only measurments extapolated from stills of the movie (no plans), and high impact styrene plastic is a chore to cut unless you are doing straight lines. very Durable though.

anyway, the shroud progresses:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think my choice to "over-reinforce' everything has really payed off, as this unit is VERY strong, and all of the other units will hang from it.

the only piece I had any real trouble with was the front, which didn't, despite my calculations, come even close to fitting, but it was a simple trim job to get into place. I'll have to a bit of wood-putty filling around the top and sight rail, but nothing tragic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Mousemuffins1

Mousemuffins1 Member

more on the shroud.

I was a little frightened by the central part that covers the interior cut-out, as I'd done so much changing and modifying that it was going to behave like sticky tape does when you're tired, and the was going to be wobbly bits and glue from arse to elbow. i needen't have worried, it fit like bum in a bucket and only need minor tweaks to make it all cosy.

[​IMG]

I moved onto the collar at the back of the shroud, and added a lot of reinforcement here 'cos this is where the stock joins on. The stock as standard is a simple butt join to the collar, but I've decided to modify it so that the (lengthend) stock will pass right through into the shroud. I think the pictures will show what I mean.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. zealousy

zealousy Member

Good stuff! Very Impressive!
  17. atamjeet

atamjeet Member

Hey Viraj.... I like the way you are building this.... Preety time consuming model. I did make it 1 year back (have a look http://www.artwanted.com/imageview.cfm?id=464797)
    I love this model as this is the only 1:1 model I have made. I stay in Bangalore now and this model is displayed at my home in Amritsar (punjab) which is 3000Kms away from Bangalore... I thougt alot about a way to transport this to Bangalore but the problem is that its too big to be kept in a bag.... And would create problem if I carry it by air (I'll look like a hijacker :)... So I opted to not to carry it anywhere....
    I am thinkin of making this again in Bnagalore cuz I have a showroom in Bangalore (My home itself )
    I would love to see the completed model. Best of luck... Seems like your model will be too heavy and solid.
  18. Mousemuffins1

Mousemuffins1 Member

well, the whole point is to make it solid. :thumb: lets face it, it's model of a gun, folks are going to want to pick it up and play with it. I' could just build it all flimsy, and have to say sorry, no you can't touch it, or I can go all the way and only have to say go for it! Also doing it this way allows a level of realism not possible with traditional methods.

I love seeing everyone elses builds of this, it's great knowing that someone out there is actually building these. Howmany times have you been to card modeling website selling kits and been completely unable to find a picture of a finished build? not that this is the case with pulse rifle, of course.:thumb:
  19. zealousy

zealousy Member

True enough! I'm actually building this one now! (Just off the printer) and though I used 230gsm card, it doesn't feel like it can handle too many 'demonstrations'. And, I kindda got bored with it and didn't touch it this entire week :/.....It seems to be more popular than I thought seeing all the completed models on this thread alone!BTW, I'm patiently waiting for your tutorial that I pleaded for when you were building the good samaritan......:) Hope you find the time...Keep up the good work!Viraj
  20. Mousemuffins1

Mousemuffins1 Member

I'm going to do a more details desciption of the process in my Thompson build thread. So go have a look there!!

A bit more on the shroud:

The fasteners on the shroud called for a bot of enginuity, but I'm happy with the result. I wound and glued some paper around a piece of brass that was the size I wanted for the internal, and added layers upto the same diameter as the holes.

[​IMG]

I then superglued the ends of the roll, cut and sanded a nice convex curve on the inside diameter (addiong more superglue as needed) and cut the piece to length. Gluing a base on the part finished it nicely, and it was then gently pushed into place and glue run around the edges. Sanded a bit, a tiny bit of wood-putty, a bit more sanding and its all good. I'll put the centres in next time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]