$1,000 for an empty Lionel box??

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
ahhhhh Young Padawan :) :) If I sell you a GG-1 open and in used condition, it would be worth "some dollar amount"

If I sell it to you in a box, it's worth a bit more

In NEW condition a bit more

and in Original packaging it's Worth A LOT!!!!! -- Somethmes Thousand$ of Dollar$.......

Now, we get into the Fun stuff..... If I restore that engine to it's original glory - It's actually worth LESS than an un-touched "all original " engine in the same condition... with me so far??????

If we take that restored engine and put it in an Original box.... It's worth a bit more :)

Now - Somewhere along the lines, people played with - and used - the trains and engines and put them into the boxes with the Christmas stuff.... But- but -but - but...... where are the original boxes????

Up in the attic... just sitting there :D

Now - 30 - 40 or 50 years later - - someone passes on... and the Grandkids go up there to clean out the attic and find the boxes...... "Original" boxes.......

ya think a collector might have trains - without boxes?????

E-bay is a great place to make money ..... :D :D :D

So, now you have "boxes" being re-united with trains... Remember also that some of these trains are "DISPLAY" only... they are NEVER run, since they are so old......

But - unfortunately, this obsession with "Original Mint Condition" has fostered a Dark Side....... There is actually a show, that sets up an x-ray machine....

You buy your Mint Condition NEVER opened train in the Original mint Sealed carton.............. for $2000.00 or $3000.00 or more,........

.......and they X-ray it to make sure the train is actually inside........ :( :( That train will Never see the light of day again .. or "Lord forbid"!! be RUN :cry: :shock: :cry: like it was built to do...

Because it's worth far more in the original box, in pristine condition..........
............ sitting on a shelf..................

N

nachoman

if people are willing to pay that much for THAT, I may as well give up complaining about paying 3 bucks a gallon for gas.

kevin

doctorwayne

if people are willing to pay that much for THAT, I may as well give up complaining about paying 3 bucks a gallon for gas.

kevin

Geez, Kevin, maybe I'll pop down there for a fill-up. An hour ago it was $4.15 here for a gallon (American), or, if you wanted a real gallon (Imperial), $4.93. That's not taking into account the exchange rate, but the Canuck buck is over $.90 U.S. and there's talk of parity later this year. At my LHS, that translates into cheaper trains. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I may have to walk the 12 miles to the hobby shop, though.

Wayne

tverskaya

Rare and oop cardboard box.

Valued exactly at how much someone will pay for it.

Indeed. ebay is a great place to make money.

(I must be a fool throwing most cardboard boxes away. Some I use for modeling. Saving them all would make me a rich man someday...)

N Gauger

Well - remember - these are original 40 year old Lionel boxes (Very rare) in great condition... I have 4 "Lionel Orange" boxes - in good to poor condition... ones like them are selling for $3.00 on e-bay - because there are so many :) :)

It's all in how rare vs. what condition...

N Gauger

While we're on the subject.... There will never be a baseball card made after 1980 that will be worth a lot..... simply because there are so many made, and people started seeing how much the old ones sold for... and started collecting cards. They didnt "flip" them... they didn't put them in their bike spokes... they kept them all mint... Now there is way way more supply - than demand......

.......... The only problem with the price of gas is: You buy milk for $3.00 a gallon, why complain about gas????

~~~ Because you don't normally walk into a store and buy 15 gallons of milk!!!!!

Both would cost $45.00..... Just something to think about hehehehehehehe

Like that brain teaser What DOES weigh more, a pound of feathers or a pound of concrete????? sign1 sign1

ezdays

Out AZ way

Like that brain teaser What DOES weigh more, a pound of feathers or a pound of concrete????? sign1 sign1

... or which will drop to earth faster, a pound of feathers or a pound of concrete?????:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ezdays

Out AZ way
From what I've been taught, everything accelerates at the same rate as a result of the force of gravity. 9.8 m/s2 is the rate at which everything, feathers, concrete, rocks and rain, accelerate towards earth. Now, individual feathers, being lighter, are affected more by the prevailing winds which act as a force to counter the force of gravity. If there was no wind blowing, or the feathers were packed tight enough not to blow apart, a pound of feather would fall as fast as a pound of concrete.

N Gauger

From what I've been taught, everything accelerates at the same rate as a result of the force of gravity. 9.8 m/s2 is the rate at which everything, feathers, concrete, rocks and rain, accelerate towards earth. Now, individual feathers, being lighter, are affected more by the prevailing winds which act as a force to counter the force of gravity. If there was no wind blowing, or the feathers were packed tight enough not to blow apart, a pound of feather would fall as fast as a pound of concrete.

They did this on the moon - - 10 Lb Sledge hammer vs a feather - - The astronaut dropped them both.... they both hit the surface of the moon at exactly the same time, proving Newton's laws of gravity are correct. :) :)

N Gauger

If gas is made from crude oil....How come quarts of oil don't up in price when gas prices rise?

. because 'Fuels" are a commodity, and so it's prices are based on the futures market. (See the movie Trading Places) on what kind of havoc can be created by "Bulls and Bears" on Wall Street trying to make money on forecasting the prices of corn, beets, pork Bellies and even Fossile Fuels.....

My only problem with all this is when the prices go up - the Pump prices follow immediately.... but when the prices go down... it takes a few days for the Pump Prices to follow :( :( :(

Since Motor oil sells so little compared to "Gasoline" or Diesel fuels... The Oil prices don't change that often, because the stores have a 4 - 6 month supply on hand sometimes... While the local gas station gets deliveries once or twice a week.......

It's all in "How much will this be worth in a month or so"

ezdays

Out AZ way
. because 'Fuels" are a commodity, and so it's prices are based on the futures market. (See the movie Trading Places) on what kind of havoc can be created by "Bulls and Bears" on Wall Street trying to make money on forecasting the prices of corn, beets, pork Bellies and even Fossile Fuels.....

My only problem with all this is when the prices go up - the Pump prices follow immediately.... but when the prices go down... it takes a few days for the Pump Prices to follow :( :( :(

Since Motor oil sells so little compared to "Gasoline" or Diesel fuels... The Oil prices don't change that often, because the stores have a 4 - 6 month supply on hand sometimes... While the local gas station gets deliveries once or twice a week.......

It's all in "How much will this be worth in a month or so"
Geeze, I don't know about where you live, but here in the west, we can count on prices going up well before the increase hits the wholesale market, and we can see it go down at a snails pace. I two dollar drop in crude will show up as a once cent drop at the pump about a month or two later.

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
:) What you all have to understand is that with the box for the Lionel #19320 (9886) 1963 GG-1 Uncatalogued Freight Set was listed and sold for $4,600. So if you were lucky enough to buy this one for $1,000 you would have a made agreat deal.

And if you want there is currently one listed on a train site for the $4,600 price.

AmbroseBauer Trains Auction: 5/20/07

ezdays

Out AZ way
:) What you all have to understand is that with the box for the Lionel #19320 (9886) 1963 GG-1 Uncatalogued Freight Set was listed and sold for $4,600. So if you were lucky enough to buy this one for $1,000 you would have a made agreat deal.

And if you want there is currently one listed on a train site for the $4,600 price.

AmbroseBauer Trains Auction: 5/20/07
Now that's just getting a bit out of hand. That looks like nothing but a corrugated carton, I've got a bunch in my garage. Of course, they might say "U-haul" or "Home Depot" on the sides, but I'll let them go for a mere $100 dollars each... OK, $1.50 and you pay the freight...:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

N Gauger

It looks like it's the same auction... The e-bay says $1,000 to $20,00.00
and has Ambrose and Bauer in the description... Ambrose Bauer Trains

And the pics are identical..

LOL Don :) For that kind of money we could have the boxes custom made :) :) But then they wouldn 't be "Original" :evil: :-D :mrgreen: :twisted: :evil: :-D :mrgreen: