027 or 0 gauge track

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by ROD J H, Feb 6, 2006.

1. ROD J H

ROD J H New Member

Iam going to build a layout in my basement and was wondering if I should use the 027 or spend a little more and get the 0 gauge Lionel track? it will be a large layout using a lot of track.area 15'x 30'x15'.will the 027 hold up to a lot of train running or is the 0 gauge the way to go.I don't want to use the fast track it will cost more then I care to spend.also what is a good height for the layout table.thanks for any help.
  2. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

I personlly like 027 track. It is a little lower in profile then O gauge and slightly less money. Both come in larger radius. If you choose O27 I would sugest to stay away from the Lionel 027 switches and find the K-line low profile ones.

:wave:
  3. pgandw

pgandw Active Member

I totally agree with what Spankybird said.

However, given that amount of space, I might be tempted to go with Gargraves or Atlas "flexible" track and larger radius curves and switches - O36 to O54 - for more of a to-scale look. Gargraves is considerably cheaper, but Atlas has a more complete line and is easier to use. As Spankybird mentioned, O27 track comes in O42 and O54 circles, and KLine makes (made) some nice 042 switches in O27 profile.

My only concern would be access - the arms don't get longer because the basement gets larger! My personal limit is normally a 30 inch reach to all parts of the layout - I will consider 36 inches only if there is substantial operational gain, but no larger. And no cheating with duck-unders or access hatches. I will consider a swinging gate or lift-up bridge with track across an aisle if it can be left in either the open or closed position for the entire operating session.

Wear of the track is negligible unless you are walking on it. Unless the track pieces are falling apart when you lay and mount them, heavy running will not cause any problems with O27 profile track.

Have fun!
  4. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

My layout is all wide-radius O27 track. O27-profile track is available in O72 radius as well, but most of the mail order suppliers seem to be out of it. With a layout the size that you're planning, the cost difference will add up. O27-profile switches are cheaper, the straights are cheaper, and the curves are a little cheaper. Definitely get the O27 long straights--it'll make your wiring go a lot faster, and it'll be a lot easier to lay straight stretches with those.
  5. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

MTH Real Trax has a large selection of radius as well as switches. It has the roadbed on it already and the solid rails aren't as noisy as the hollow O27 rail, IMO. With the area you have, go for the larger radius, you won't regret it. I bought the MTH track for my boys, kept the carpet fuzz out of the engines and engine drippings off the carpet. It also seemed more rugged than the O27 track I have. Lionel has a track system with the road bed also, "Fast Track" but it has hollow rail and doesn't look as nice, again IMO. Gragraves and Atlas track is another option, both look better because of the flat rail head as apposed to the tubular rail head of O27.

Cheers,
    Greg
  6. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

I would never disagree with spanky Bird however I suggest O 31.

It is tuffer and very reusable.

I have a lot of pre war AF and even Bing track and track accesserories and am still using them.

You can buy it used for about a dollor or >50 cents and the old o 22 switches are durable also.

Most trains need at leaste O 31 too.

It has a higher profile and like I said you can use it repeatedly as you make changes.

I now however am converting to Fast Track.
  7. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

I would never disagree with spanky Bird however I suggest O 31.

It is tuffer and very reusable.

I have a lot of pre war AF and even Bing track and track accesserories and am still using them.

You can buy it used for about a dollor or >50 cents and the old o 22 switches are durable also.

Most trains need at leaste O 31 too.

It has a higher profile and like I said you can use it repeatedly as you make changes.

I now however am converting to Fast Track.