0-8-8-0 camelback

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
pete

will post some pix along the way wont be much progress till fall my work shop is unairconditioned you know 109 to 120 days.
:eek: like you say tis a ugly beast but a lot of personalty.
jim

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
I am deeply offended...

...by the sentiment that these units are considered "ugly". The fact that I may not want to see one of these units shopping in my local grocery. What, with the large "firebox" sideswiping the Cheerios boxes off the shelf and those bumpers prodding me as I try to pass (and what the heck is that tangle of hoses, hoses!!!! all looped about).

Well, anyway- the point is, it may not be pretty but it is beautiful.

Let beauty remain in the eye of the beholder.

Thank you.

A message from ~ The Management

Attachments

• beauty.jpg
    beauty.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 184

wortchillergoal

Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
The book,soft cover, Memories of O&W Power has a picture of one on page 14. The author of the book is Paul Carleton and was published by D< Carleton Railbooks. I love camelbacks. I grew up in O&W country, long after rail service. My next door neighbor"s father was an engineer on the line.

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
wortchillergoal
thanks for info have found very little info on the brutes.father in law's uncle was a fireman on one seen old pohto on one and just had to build one.

donr928

Mar 19, 2006
Cincinnati, Ohio ( West Chester )
I went looking for the L-1 also and found this.
[FONT=&quot]http://www.shorpy.com/node/1478#comment-21562
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]The three L-1 0-8-8-0 steam locomotives of the Erie Railroad, built in 1907 by ALCO, were unique in that they were the only articulated camelback locomotives ever built. They were, when built, the largest steam locomotives in existence. They were built for pushing service, especially on the heavy grades of the Delaware and Susquehanna Divisions over the Allegheny Mountains. In 1921 they were rebuilt as 2-8-8-2s with more conventionally located cabs. They were taken out of service in 1930 as larger locomotives replaced them.[/FONT]