“the Worlds Longest Model Train”

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by TrainNut, Apr 28, 2008.

1. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

Also happening here in Phoenix... or happened. It was supposed to take place this last week but I can't seem to find out if it took place or not.
    The Worlds Longest Model Train

Also, this is the layout which it should have taken place at...
    Rick The Railroad Guy Gallery

Directly from their site,
    "HISTORY
    11 Years ago the record for the Worlds Longest Model Train was held by a railroad club in Perth, Australia in HO Scale at 3.8 scale miles and consisted of 650 HO scale wagons and 4 locomotives. This record was set June 3, 1996. The record, we understand has since moved to Germany, but also in HO scale .
    WHERE
    To our knowledge the record has never been attempted in G Scale. The railroad we plan to run it on is the Dynamite, Rio Verde & Eastern Railroad in Scottsdale, AZ which has 3,800 linear feet of track on a double track main, with each main at 1,252 linear feet. Utilizing all 1,252 feet on one main will be 6.91 scale miles and would beat the German record by 2.1 scale miles.
    WHEN
    The time frame for this record attempt will be the week prior to the National Garden Railway Convention in Phoenix. We anticipate the week of April 20 – 26, 2008. We will update the web site as the time draws nearer with further information.

HOW
    In order to beat the current record we will need 75 sets of USA Trains Intermodal 5 Unit Articulated Well Cars, which would be out of our budget, but with your help, we can all band together and bring the record to the US!"
  2. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

Wow...just getting around a layout that size would be work.
  3. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

I heard back from Rick the railroad guy via email as to what happened and he said they had some mechanical difficulties as well as the weather did not cooperate so they will be trying again sometime in the near future. I'm not sure what it was about the weather that was not cooperating other than maybe a little wind. It was clear and hot down here all week.
  4. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

I've just heard from one of the organizers for this event. They have failed at two attempts but will try again November 15th between 10a.m. and 2p.m. She says they have made all the mistakes they can and the third try will be succesful.:p Also, since they are short on engineers, I have volunteered to help out. Sounds like funnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll take pictures if I can!
  5. Fluesheet

Fluesheet Member

Interesting - how many locomotives? And why more than one engineer? Make sure to weigh a car so we can figure out the "tonnage"! :D
  6. hmas

hmas Member

good luck!
    Oh well we might have to see a video of the event:thumb:
    Then we'll get set to take it back over our summer!:p
  7. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

Good questions. I don't know. I'm guessing they will be putting helpers throughout the train. Logistics? I'm sure to find out soon.

Since there will be Guinness people on hand, I'm assuming they'll be shooting video and probably air it. I don't know if you get that program where you're at. It's not active now but they will also have a live web cam set up to be active during the attempt.
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/worlds-longest-model-train
  8. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

Today, the publishers of the Guiness Book of World Records officially announced the setting of two new world records, the record for the longest operating model train, and the record for the world's longest scale model traffic jam, qwhich occured at a crossing located on the layout itself.
  9. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

Longest operating... over time? Sounds interesting. I'll haft'a go look it up.
  10. Fluesheet

Fluesheet Member

sign1

Matt
  11. electric130

electric130 Member

so whatever happened with this? any videos?
  12. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

Sorry, would'a posted sooner but other stuff keeps sucking up my free time...
    November 15th, 9a.m., I was out there. This attempt was made using 26 locomotives and 507 double stack container cars. The train did not start from a stop as a whole, but rather divided into 13 sections with each section consisting of two locomotives pulling 39 cars. Each section had 1 engineer and 1 conductor. The conductor was responsible for fixing any derailments on the fly. I was engineer of section four.
    In theory, section one would slowly start accelerating. Section two would then slowly speed up and couple to the back of section one and on down the line until all thirteen sections were coupled and the entire seven scale miles of train was moving as one unit.
    From Lori Cartwright, "This attempt was so much different than when it done in HO - there were so many more challenges and variables. Each time the record was set in HO scale, it was on staight track, with no gradient, no curvature issues or manpower issues and there certainly were no weather issues." We had to deal with 26' diameter curves, a 3% downhill grade, a 2% uphill grade, 13 separate engineers, wind that kept blowing over our double stacks, and battery problems just to name a few!
    We spent all day trying. I was there from 9a.m. to 5:30p.m. as the last rays of sunlight disappeared. We just couldn't make it happen. The man in charge (Rick) said, "If it was easy, everybody would be doing it." We did however, create some very realistic accidents! With that many engineers, locomotives, and cars, when something started to go wrong, it snowballed... AND FAST! The worst casualty of the day was when one of the locomotives took a leap off the edge of a trestle, landing in the water feature below with a nice splash and quickly sinking to the bottom. Even though we failed...spectacularly... I had so much fun, I couldn't stop grinning until well after I'd gone to bed for the night. It then took me several nights of sleep before I could dream of anything other than G scale trains! Evidently the Cartwrights have decided to not throw in the towell just yet as they are contemplating trying again in January.
    First up is an very poor aerial image of the G scale layout -
    [​IMG]
    The rectangular building in the bottom left is the train barn (a split staging yard) roughly 10'x20'. I found that the layout was so huge, I had problems taking pictures of it... they just didn't show much due to the size...
    [​IMG]

...and several of the bridges...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

a shot of one of many of the meetings we had...
    [​IMG]

Of course, we had to have a special car for the event at the very front of the train...
    [​IMG]

and the last shot is inside the train barn showing the locomotives recharging in between accidents and other failed attempts....
    [​IMG]
  13. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

As they say..."Fun was had by one and all..."...Or so it would seem....

Any videos..??
  14. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

Nope, no videos... at least not by me. There was somebody there shooting film. He had bunches of cameras set up all over the place to capture all the different angles. If your interested, I'll see if I can track down more info regarding that.
  15. electric130

electric130 Member

yes, i would love to see any videos you can track down!
  16. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

Okay, I managed to track down the guy who did the filming. Here is a link to his site where you can find a short video with some information about the layout where the attempts have taken place...
    http://www.moviemix.com/longesttrain.html
    He has also stated that he will have a DVD of the previous attempts ready for sale by mid December.
  17. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Thanks for the video....I'll look forward to the DVD :thumb:...