“Moonbase Alpha Main Mission Study Model

Octoman

A few progress photos for this weekend;

Working on the Computer wall today.
DSCN0365.jpg
Each panel gets glued down on one side...
DSCN0366.jpg
After all of the panels are attached on one side, I begin glueing the other side down using the previous panel as an anchor.
DSCN0367.jpg
The result is a part where everything lines up correctly and actually fits where it's supposed to go!

I'm still working on the balcony stairway but will probably get the walls up in the main room before I finish them (but I never know!).

I'll keep posting if you keep looking :)

Thanks to all!

Octoman

Hiya all,

I've been designing this weekend and thought I would post some pics.

Balcony stairs 02.jpg
This is the first serious work on the balcony stairway. This is a composite of the upper and lower stairways (they are actually positioned at right angles to each other).
furnature.jpg
...and, since I have to make templates for the scratch build anyway, I thought I would do some furnature. The template for the office com-post, the big conference table and the commander's desk.

More soon!

Octoman

Good Tuesday to you all
(if in fact, it's Tuesday where you are...)

I've "tweaked" a lot of things in my life... enough to know that tweaking is what I do if at all possible. That being said; I have tweaked this model more than anything I have ever tweaked in my longish life! This is a study model, built to get the lay of the land on a subject before I start building it out of plastic. I'm not only glad that I did this first but I'm starting to experience a modicum of pride regarding the detail that I'm achieving.

I believe I have completed all of the templates (having tweaked them within an inch of their lives!) and will spend the remainder of the week building the model. Photos will follow (of course) and please, be as honest and crittical as you will.

I've finished the balcony stairway
Balcony stairs 03.jpg
the parts are TINY!!! So they are double sided and will be folded over for added strength and depth.

More soon!

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Hey! @Octoman ... Your first two 'Likes', in your last post, were from Marco and ASC ....... That says enough!
They are two of the best tweakers and designers I have come across, so take pride in that too .... ;):)

You are doing a SUPERB rendition of this subject! thumbsup

Octoman

Hey! @Octoman ... Your first two 'Likes', in your last post, were from Marco and ASC ....... That says enough!
They are two of the best tweakers and designers I have come across, so take pride in that too .... ;):)

You are doing a SUPERB rendition of this subject! thumbsup

I thank you, your Majesty!

Octoman

Hullo all!

The assembly has been going fairly well. As promised; more photos:

DSCN0368.jpg
You may have noticed that the floor looks different... Long story shortened as much as possible; while designing the balcony stairs, I noticed that the panels on the dividing wall didn't line up above and below as they did on the opposite wall (which were originally pretty much mirrors of each other). The dividing wall seemed to have three full sized panels on the right rather than two and half as on the other wall. I couldn't figure it out and then it hit me that this was the reason my computer wall didn't line up the first time... The computer consoles are on a sort of zig-zag, lightning bolt pattern which means they are on different sides on either wall! Had to redesign the dividing wall and remove the one I'd already glued down. Half of the floor came up with it so I just removed the rest as carefully as possible and put a new one down... So, on the positive side; The upper floor isn't double thickness anymore, the walls line up perfectly and the model is a lot more accurate.:animated:
The down side was more work but I'm getting used to that...
I guess it was a pretty long story... Sorry...

DSCN0369.jpg
The redone (YET AGAIN!!!) dividing wall and computer wall joined and happy together at last.
DSCN0374.jpg
The first panels of the balcony wall installed behind the computer consoles.

And then, another snag! I printed parts for the balcony and assembled them several different ways but kept coming up with the same problem;
DSCN0378.jpg
Heavy duty warpage!
Solution:
DSCN0379.jpg
Use a thin piece of corrugated cardboard to stabilize!
DSCN0380.jpg
It worked better than hoped!
DSCN0372.jpg
...and while everything is drying; working on the roof section where the balcony poles terminate. It's a tough piece that I could have done in sections (and likely will in the larger cardmodel) but I wanted it to be as seamless as possible.
DSCN0375.jpg
Turns out there are less seams but the ones visible are pretty not good. No biggie... The rest of the model will make up for it.

Next: the balcony will be installed and I tackle the balcony stairs. I'm a bit worried that they will be too flimsy because they are so tiny. If they can't be cut out (Maybe Uhu02 could do it but I doubt I can) I may try them as transparencies. We shall see.

furnature.jpg
I've also been tweaking the furniture for accuracy. Here we have the com-post with accurate stand, the commander's desk much more "fleshed out" and the conference table complete with stand (these are on either side of the tabletop).

More as it happens and thanks for looking :)

Octoman

A quick update on this Sunday evening;

DSCN0385.jpg
The balcony is glued in place and the fit is very good. Also did the round panels on the dividing wall.
DSCN0386.jpg
Another view of the balcony in place. This is farther than I got last time so I'm quite pleased and relieved.

I've also started work on the balcony stairs and as I feared... They are too delicate when cut out to function
DSCN0392.jpg
There is no way I could glue the individual stairs on to this flimsy piece.
My solution is to use transparencies for the delicate pieces and then glue the card stock stairs onto that.
DSCN0389.jpg
It won't be perfect but it will be a decent representation of what is supposed to be there. Gluing the stairs on will be extremely difficult.

Wish me luck!

Octoman

Lo all!

Just got over a huge hurtle and the home stretch is at last in sight!
DSCN0393.jpg
The steps on the upper portion of the balcony stairs are finally in place!
DSCN0397.jpg
After trying about ten different kinds of glue, I took a chance and bought this adhesive roller on clearence. It worked even where rubber cement failed!
DSCN0394.jpg
The finished balcony stairs. Not perfect but definately the best I can do on such a small model
DSCN0395.jpg
The stairs installed!
DSCN0396.jpg
Another view; here you can see the railing next to the stairway on the balcony itself.

This part really kicked my butt but now that it's done and acceptable, it's on to the balcony walls and ceiling panel and then the columns and railings in between them. After that, all that is left is the command office and whatever furnature I want to try and do.

Photos to come.

Thanks for looking!

Octoman

Update!

I managed to get a couple of the balcony wall pieces up tonight.

DSCN0398.jpg
The balcony picture windows and AC section in place with columns added. Looking more and more like the real thing!
DSCN0399.jpg
Another angle with female Alpha tech figure for scale. Looks like I may have to shore up the frames in between the windows as they are buckling a bit..
DSCN0400.jpg
A view from behind the model showing how visible the balcony is and will be on the scratch build. I did the AC section as a transparency for this study model but will build all of the detail into the scratch build leaving the back open so you can see through the louvers.
MM-Balcony-03.jpeg
This is what the actual set looks like. Imagine no lighted backdrop and you have what I'll be making.

Thanks to all for the interest, kind words and encouragement!

More soon!

Octoman

Update:

I've glued the last of the ceiling panels that will be permanently attached to the model.
DSCN0404.jpg
I've left the main wall of so I can still tweak the inside if need be. There are other ceiling panels that will be added but they will be removable for viewing.
DSCN0405.jpg
I'm going to add some thicker cardstock to reinforce the picture window section as it's bowing somewhat but that should be fairly simple.
DSCN0401.jpg
a view from below. Won't be able to do that once the main wall is up.
DSCN0403.jpg
Still have to install the railing in between the balcony posts and glue the posts themselves to the floor but after that, I can install the main wall, finish the commander's office and that's pretty much it.

I'm in the home stretch!

More later,
thanks for looking. :)

Tonino

It's wonderful how much familiar it looks to me!
I can see dr. Bergman standing in front of the computer wall and turning toward the camera...
Nice work! thumbsup

bgt01

Exemplary Confidant
This is fantastic! You are going a great job coming up with all this detail on the fly. I also use a lot of chipboard and cardboard for reinforcement. I use a lot of white cover stock (postcards, business cards, book cover) to make small parts like those stairs. It's thicker and sturdier than regular card and could work well for something like that. Our local Hobby Lobby carries a lot of it and in several colors. Also, I sometimes use a little Super Glue around the part edges to "seal" them and that helps them stiffen up and keep their shape.

I can relate to how much work this is so, as Alan Carter would say,
ALAN.jpg

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
:surprise::surprise::surprise:

With the backgroud (your room) showing through the windows it really looks REAL! :)