Ordering finished models online?

EngineerKyle

Oct 3, 2005
Troy MI
Hi All,

Has anyone a link to a site for purchasing finished models and weathered rolling stock?

I know guys sell their handiwork through “famous auction sites”… But are there personal web pages out there where people are selling to the public with pay pal/credit cards?

After great success selling my scratchbuilt structures at last years Gratiot Valley Train Show, I want to see how viable it is to go International, and I’m looking for sites to emulate. In fact, I suppose I could get ideas from any craftsman’s webpage, regardless of if it was trains or not.

Kyle

Ps. if you have any suggestions or know of any pitfalls I should be aware of, I sure could use that info, too.

Thanks in advance.

Very possible to do as you suggest. Just remember, if you become successful, somebody will contract with a Chinese company and have them built for less than you could possibly build them for.
My wife went through the above scenario with hand made dolls.

I heard ones that china named a town usa so they could put made in USA on the logo...

Hi DELTA: Thats one of those urban legands that's been around since I was a kid (a lot of years) but in my memory it was Japan. Can't verify any truth to it; however.

That sounds like something the People's Republic would've done years ago, lol. A cursory search on Google reveals nothing, but in Soviet China...

As far as selling pre-weathered models? Uffda. I'm on the fence about that one, because unless you offer 2-3 different weathering schemes (rusty and wet, dry and windbeaten, sunfaded paint, etc) for each model noone's going to be totally satisfied.