Wiring problem on ho train

JimboP

Feb 20, 2023
I would like advice on how to wire 4 1.8 volt bi-color led's to a tortoise switch machine. I have been able to make the 4 leds work properly, however the switch doesnt throw. My power source is a 12 volt DC transformer. Please note that I am a novice and dont understand electrical jargon. Thanks JimboP

This is one of the simplest online tools I could find. You use the known values you have, and it will create the circuit for you in picture form. It works welll. Their is a learning curve, but you should get much help with this. If you made 4 circuits in paarallel, voltage in parallel does not change, that could work for you. :)

Reactions: OldMiner
one big question, how far is the top of the tortoise from the trow bar tortoise from the throw bar? this design, with the materials provided works best with 1/2 inch plywood , and cork roadbed, so the throw bar is less than an inch from the top of the tortoise. if , for instance, you are using 3/4 inch plywood , with inch thick homasote or foam, (I hate track on foam). the piano wire provided is to flexible to make the switch throw correctly,

I'm a fan of ground throws, and haven't used tortoises, so I'm not familiar with the wiring, although I have used blue point manual controls, that have a similar action, and at times have had to replace the provided music wire with stouter music wire to get the switch to throw. check your wiring on a tortoise that isn't installed, and see if it throws